E30TELEOB - diagnosing kill switch failure

Jim311

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been having issues with this motor and have thrown virtually every at it. It's had a carb rebuild, stator parts replaced (this fixed a high end bog/stall I had) and even a new powerpack. I rebuilt the fuel pump as well. It runs much smoother than before at the high end, in fact it rips, but at the low end it stutters and stumbles. This seems to change if I wiggle the stop switch/kill switch key. I want to diagnose this before I buy a new one because a new switch is over 100 bucks. Is this possible, and if so, how?

kbait

Commander
Re: E30TELEOB - diagnosing kill switch failure

If you follow the wiring back from switch, there should be one that bolts to ground under motor cowling. I believe that is the ground for the kill switch. Disconnect and isolate that, and try it (key will not shut motor off w/that ground disconnected... disabling kill circuit).

Good luck

Jim311

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you follow the wiring back from switch, there should be one that bolts to ground under motor cowling. I believe that is the ground for the kill switch. Disconnect and isolate that, and try it (key will not shut motor off w/that ground disconnected... disabling kill circuit).

Good luck

As best as I can tell, the kill switch grounds out between the block and the top coil. Can anybody confirm this? I'm going to water test it and see if removing that ground helps the running issue. It's hard to diagnose because sometimes it runs fine but when water testing it starts to stumble and stall at low RPMS.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Just disconnect one of the kill switch wires. If the problem goes away the switch or its wiring is faulty. Kill switch connect the terminals to short the ignition system to ground thus killing the engine. If one wire is disconnected, this removes the switch from the system and it should run normally.