bimini top questions

2stroke1971

Petty Officer 1st Class
I want to get a simple bimini top for my old bayliner, its a capri cuddy, 1950, about 20 feet long.
Ive been looking at those simple ones that look like they attach with straps on either side of where the rails come down in a V.... My boat does have a track of some sort along the sides, is that where the tip of the V would mount?
Are those things hard to put and take down out on the water? My concern is motoring out to where we fish, and then putting the top up and down every time we move...is that a giant pain in the backside or what? Can you drive at all with them up? Obviously not talking about 30 mph, but what can you manage without ripping them off?
Last season, my better half nearly had a heat stroke out there one day. The cabin doesnt help much because it only makes most people sick to get into that little enclosed space while the waves are bouncing!

Thanks in advance for any input!
and any brand recomendations as well!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: bimini top questions

ok if you go out on your boat take note on every boat that has a bimini...

Yeah you need one everyone has one, they are so popular that many manufacturers consider them standard equipment, your wife would agree once she has one.

No they are not a pain in the backside once they are setup properly, you can even do away with the rear straps in favor of poles that keep the rear of the bimini located and allow you to keep the bimini stored in the up position. 30 mph with it should be fine but any faster and you will likely damage the bimini over time. once you get the hang of it you can have your bimini put up in a couple minutes easy, get a big one it will pay for itself on those hot days and make your wife very happy.

I like mine a little down in front for a little aerodynamic look and it tends to be less hard on the top, mine attaches to the windshield frame in front and into the gelcoat in back, if you can find the proper hardware you can use the rails your boat has otherwise your looking at a more typical mount like mine.