prop and motor both locked up

bwachob

Cadet
Went for a ride today and hit something at less than 20 mph. We heard a banging sound for a few seconds then the engine died and would not turn over again. There is a piece missing from the skeg but the prop does nnot look very bad at all. Please help, if at all possible I need to fix this myself.
'97 Ranger R70 '97 Mariner 125

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: prop and motor both locked up

Hi,
You will need to drop the gearbox and then see if the motor will turn over to start with
If you put the motor in neutral can you turn the prop?

bwachob

Cadet

prop will not spin in neutral, serial number is above G450.... just noticed oil coming out of lower unit.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Gearbox oil or black oil?
You will need to drop it. Seems as though your prop hasnt being spun severely (the rubber safety bushing gives way when it whacks something in principle protecting the rest of the motor)

bwachob

Cadet

Black looking oil, will be next weekend b4 I can drop lower unit. Thanks for rapid response.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

No worries, hope it wasnt a long swim for you all kicking the boat home.
cheers

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Phew... thats fortunate!
Ps best if after you drop the lower gearbox you remove the plugs, ensure the key is in the off position and then try and turn the flywheel by hand instead of trying to start her first

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

gear oil will also turn black if it is never changed. Ask how I happen to know that.....

bwachob

Cadet

Definitely gear oil, I could smell it this morning. I won't be back home until Friday, but keep comments coming. Every little bit helps.

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you're going to drop the lower unit, and you haven't done one before, get the manual for the motor to guide you. Make the engine safe before doing it ....

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Hey Bosun, I am glad you asked that question. I once had an issue with my friends 850Merc. I asked him when was the last time he changed the gear oil. His answer was "What gear oil?". I opened the gearcase drain and a few drops of black sludge came out. The gearcase was toast....

bwachob

Cadet

Thanks, I have dropped the lower unit before and do have a manual. Can't wait to get home Friday survey the damage.

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer

y' know. I have dropped LU's many times and never had a problem. Have I just been lucky? Never needed a manual.

bwachob

Cadet

Silver dollar sized crack and bulge in lower gear case. What are chances of finding used lower unit? Hoping insurance will cover it.

bwachob

Cadet

Motor turns over just fine. Looking for used/rebuilt lower unit.