Long Term Support of Trailer w/ Stands

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I store a 21' boat on a tandem axle trailer in a metal barn at a farm property a long drive from my house. Neighbors keep an eye on things for us, but it doesn't take long to cut a hitch lock and tow away a boat. One additional anti-theft measure I'm considering is removing the wheels from one or both axles and supporting them with jack stands. Is long-term support by jack stand harmful to the axle?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Long Term Support of Trailer w/ Stands

Sounds like a good idea, 4W. Good for the tires, too.

Part of the problem with preventive measures is that you don't know when you have succeeded, only when you have failed.

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class

They can always figure out what size of wheel and tire and get a few used ones if they were desperate enough.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

When you meet a bear in the woods, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your buddy! Nothing will prevent a determined theif from stealing your rig, but making it easier for him to steal someone else's will do the trick. After all, most theives are lazy and opportunists.

Removing the wheels and locking or removing the coupler will certainly go a long way to ensure your boat is still there when you arrive. So will parking somthing relatively immovable in front of it.

Think about it: the trailer is supported only by the springs and a front jack. How can supporting it on jackstands harm it? Unless the boat is a really big one, one or two jackstands on either side close to or directly under the springs will do nicely. Spend the money for jackstands--do not use cement block. They are weak and unsafe when used in these type applications.

Bondo

Staff member

I store a 21' boat on a tandem axle trailer in a metal barn at a farm property a long drive from my house. Neighbors keep an eye on things for us, but it doesn't take long to cut a hitch lock and tow away a boat. One additional anti-theft measure I'm considering is removing the wheels from one or both axles and supporting them with jack stands. Is long-term support by jack stand harmful to the axle?

Nope,... So long as they're placed directly under the support points....

say at the spring saddle...
or 'tween the spring perch, 'n hub...
or under the trailer Frame....

tednv

Seaman

I've seen people use jack stands in boat storage lots, I guess it's good for the leaf springs since it takes the tension off, and good for tires because it takes the pressure off. Not sure if taking tires off is that good of a security measure, plus it would be a pain to have to take them off or put them back on. Tongue locks are pretty useless though, since you can unbolt the tongue and put on another one

I'm picking up a bigger boat soon that will have to sit in the driveway and thought about using one of these not only as a spacesaver but also for security:

FHDPB330301_1000.jpg (etrailer has the foldaway couplers that you don't have to weld)

You can take the whole arm off when not in use by using two of the pins instead of the bolt + pin, they'll have a much harder time trying to tow it when the trailer looks like this:

TLR010.jpg

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks to all for the insights. I felt sure the jack stands wouldn't be an issue, but better a dumb question than a dumb mistake.