Custom Center Console Rebuild

stuckinthehole

Seaman Apprentice
I bought this boat a few years ago and have decided to rebuild it this year. It was a custom made boat that the original owner did not do correctly. Floor has soft spots and the liner was separating from the hull.
DSC01522.JPGDSC01524.jpg
I tried getting the entire liner out but cant get it to budge at all so I will be cutting the the top edge of the liner to remove the wood spacer that is waterlogged and expanded.
DSC01536.jpg

I am wondering what type of wood you guys would replace in this edge. I plan to refiberglass over the top edge onto the hull to provide a seal from any water getting in and causing the same problem.

Once the top edge around the boat is complete I will cut out and remove the deck. I may have to remove any water logged foam and damaged stringers under the deck. Right now I plan to replace the deck with 3/4" Marine fir covered in fiberglass. I've got alot of work to do on this boat before it hits the water again so I will try to keep this updated when I make progress.

My big question right now is what type of wood to replace along the edge of the boat. I will need 2x4's that I will trim up to fit in the space. I have heard that pressure treated is not a good choice due to moisture content. Right now I am thinking of using Kiln dried Whitewood that is normally used for studs in housing. It will have a low moisture content but will probably absorb alot of epoxy. I am up for any suggestions you may have. Thanks. Again I will try to keep this forum updated with my progress.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Custom Center Console Rebuild

Fir 2xs will work well... they're light, straight, and strong.

... or you can use laminated plywood, 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood glued together is actually stronger than a 2x.

stuckinthehole

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry I haven't made any updates to this in a while. I located some Fir 2x6s that I have cut to size and begun glassing in. Right now the boat edge just has one layer of 8.7 oz fiberglass tape over the edge. Today I hope to add a 6" layer of 1708 fiberglass tape for strength and then I will probably finish it off with another layer of 8.7 oz for a smooth finish. I will take some photos today and load them later. I hope to have the edge of the boat finished up this week so that next weekend I can begin removing the deck to determine what needs to be replaced under there. This is the first project I have done using fiberglass and there is definitely a learning curve to it but I think I am getting the hang of it. Starting on the repair of the edge of the boat will probably be the most difficult section due the the all the angles that have to be made. When I start on the deck nk it will be much easier since it will all be flat. I still have a ton of work to do before this boat gets in the water but it is nice to finally be glassing because it feels like progress is being made.

stuckinthehole

Seaman Apprentice

Finally put the finishing layer of fiberglass around the edge of the boat today! Now the edge will have to be sanded, primed, and painted before the rub rail and hardware can be reinstalled. Tomorrow I plan to remove the rotted out deck! Hopefully that wont be terrible to remove. I plan to cut 4 inches in from the edge of the deck to give me enough room to fiberglass back to it when it is complete. Once the deck is off I will have to inspect the stringers along with everything else under the deck since I know there was and probably still is water in the boat. Keeping my fingers crossed that it is not too bad tomorrow...
0406131522.jpg0406131523.jpg0406131523a.jpg

stuckinthehole

Seaman Apprentice

Not sure if anyone actually follows this but I am in need of some guidance at this point. I finally removed the deck today. Wasn't that bad to get out actually. Cut it mostly with a circular saw and then with a crowbar and some muscle we were able to peel it apart. The top layer of fiberglass came apart really easy and I was surprised at what we found underneath. Instead of a full sheet of plywood it was a bunch of little block making up the floor. I am really confused by this. Is there a good reason for using small blocks instead of a solid sheet? I would think that the solid sheet of plywood would be more resistant to water with less areas for water to seep in. Any ideas?
0407131723.jpg0407131724.jpg0407131724a.jpg
DSC01551.jpgDSC01552.jpg

There was water trapped in the bottom of the boat due to a clogged drain. The gas tank is aluminum and it has foam around it. Should I dig out the foam and remove the tank to make sure the bottom has no corrosion due to water in the hull?

This week looks like it will be clean up and planning to figure out how to go about this. Any suggestions?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yes, you are correct, you should remove the tank, water trapped against it by the foam could cause corrosion.

The plywood squares are typical for a liner style boat's construction. The hull is constructed in 1 mold right side up, and a liner is constructed in another, upside down. Once both 'halves' are finished, they are mated together creating the boat as you see it now.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Just replace that deck with a good quality EXTERIOR grade plywood, either ACX or BCX.

I'd dig the gas tank out and clean it up and paint it with a self etching primer made for aluminum and then a couple of coats of regular metal primer for long life, then foam it back in to set it securely.

stuckinthehole

Seaman Apprentice

I got the tank out today and it does not have any holes but is pretty dirty and has a few small spots of corrosion. I think I can just clean it up, lightly sand it, self etch primer, and then paint. That should work right?

P4170004.jpgP4170005.jpgP4170006.jpgP4170007.jpg

First I would remove all that nasty foam, check your stringers and transom for rot, and clean up the bilge. I would invest in Interlux Bilgekote.

stuckinthehole

Seaman Apprentice

Sanded the tank today and there are a few corrosion spot I need some input on. Will these spots in the tank be okay if i prime over them and paint or should I consider replacing the tank? thanks
P4180008.jpgP4180009.jpgP4180010.jpgP4180011.jpgP4180012.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Tough to tell from the pics but they don't look very deep to me from here. If they aren't close to being corroded all the way through, I'd skim over those areas with some JB Weld or MarineTex.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If the pitting is really shallow then I'd do a good cleaning on it with TSP, wipe it down with Acetone and then prime it with some SE primer to stop future corrosion. A couple of coats of Bare Metal Primer and then 2-3 coats of Rustoleum Professional Oil Based Paint and she'll be good to go.;)

stuckinthehole

Seaman Apprentice

Covered some of the corrosion pits on the gas tank today. Tomorrow I will prime it and maybe get a first coat of paint on it. I started cleaning up the interior of the hull by sanding and scraping the loose chopped strand fiberglass. I was also able to unplug the poorly designed drain tube. I am still trying to decide how to redo that. The current drain is just a 1 inch pvc pipe that has been glassed to the bottom of the boat. it is open at the bow end, has a 1 inch hole cut in it in the middle of the center compartment, and then the stern end of the pipe was almost completely sealed with foam. terrible design. the loose fiberglass in the hull had clogged up the drain so it was no wonder as to why the boat had about 15 gallons of water in it when I took the deck off. Tomorrow I will have to try to find a way to redesign the drain system in the boat to allow adequate drainage if any water gets in again.

stuckinthehole

Seaman Apprentice

Ok alot has happened since the last time I posted. Gas tank complete. Drain tube repaired. Bilge Painted. Foam poured. Gas tank installed. Control Tube installed. Some of the wiring was installed because it was easier to do prior to installing the deck. plywood cut for the deck. underside epoxy sealed and painted. plywood installed. Begin fiberglassing deck. More to come later this week.
0504131112.jpg0506131625.jpg0509131517.jpg0511131131.jpg0511131302.jpg

stuckinthehole

Seaman Apprentice

The deck is fiberglassed in!!! Not much else has been done though with the Tropical storm blowing by been pretty busy with work. I have alot of sanding to do tomorrow to get it ready to paint but priming and painting probably wont happen until the humidity drops.