Anchor Washdown

agallant80

Commander
I am not quite sure if I want to install a pump, cut a hole in the deck for the hose etc for a proper anchor washdown system. Does anyone have any ideas of how to get the mud off of the anchor. Dipping it does not work too well.

Capt Sully

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Anchor Washdown

What I did was cut a water hose about 10' long and clamped bilge pump motor on one end. When I want to wash down, just drop the pump over into the water, turn it on and you have running water, as much as you need. Roll it up and stow when not using.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I anchor most weekends in the summer, and yeah, the anchor comes up full of mud. I drag it just below the surface for a few minutes at idle speed. Always comes up clean.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

TRAC portable washdown. No holes to cut or plumbing to install. Works great.

Trac Portable Washdown Pump Kit - Gander Mountain

Thats just the first link that came up when I googled it. I paid much less from a different company that sells marine stuff online. Shop around.

I just keep dunking my anchor in the water till its clean, but then again I have a small boat and fairly light anchor. I guess that would not be a good method with a larger anchor. I do use my TRAC washdown for lots of other things though and I've never regretted purchasing it.

agallant80

Commander

I anchor most weekends in the summer, and yeah, the anchor comes up full of mud. I drag it just below the surface for a few minutes at idle speed. Always comes up clean.

Good tip! I will give it a try the next time I am out.