How much water should a water pump push?

Azzmus B Dragon

Recruit
Hello!

I just bought a 1961 Evinrude 5.5 hp Fisherman on a 14-foot v-bottom and am just killing time with it in the garage until lakes thaw here in Nebraska. The guy I bought it from and I ran the engine in a horse tank in his barn and everything looked and sounded great. He says it had new points, and water pump installed a couple years ago. My question is: How do I know when it's time to replace the impeller on the water pump? Is there a certain quantity of water the thing should push in a given time (gallons per minute)? I guess that's two questions. I am confident that I can do the job myself (with what I've read here in the forums), but am too much of a tightwad to spend the money on all of the gaskets, etc. if I don't need to. My two daughters' summer fun is riding on this endeavor, so any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

nwcove

Admiral
Re: How much water should a water pump push?

jmo, but you hear from sellers..." recently replaced", "ran good the last time it was ran" etc etc. unless he showed you a receipt for the impeller, i would personally replace it. a new impeller is cheap insurance as an overheat could end the "summer fun" on the first outing.

Azzmus B Dragon

Recruit

I was afraid someone would say that. I'll order parts tomorrow. :) Thank you!

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I was afraid someone would say that.

LOL. Don't you wish that, just once, everyone would say, 'Nah, you're being overcautious. It's fine.'

It's never happened to me, either. He's right, of course. You should replace it.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

now that you have ordered parts, at least take it out to see how old pump performs. this way, you will have something to compare old one to.

raczekp1

Lieutenant

hi
look at some movies on youtube how 5.5 or 6 hp joh/Evin works, how much water is floating out from back of midsection
and just compear with yours motor
if powerhead is just warm and you can hold your hand for long period so cooling is ok

Azzmus B Dragon

Recruit

JoLin: True. So true. Stylesabu: Good idea. Raczekp1: Thats what started this. Someone posted a Youtube video of the same engine with comments about new water pump. That led me to searching for some way to quantify things.

Thanks again guys!