Resurrecting 1995 Mariner 3.0L 225 EFI on Bass Boat

PESCAHOLIC

Cadet
My bass boat has been sitting for at least 5 years and I'm going through it so I can get back out on the water.

The engine has not been run in at least 4 years, but has just 200 hours. Just before the last time it ran I had it at a dealer and they put it on the computer and replaced a faulty Crank Position Sensor and checked the timing. Immediately after that one of the OEM metal reeds broke, which I repaired and replaced with Boysen 2 stage and made sure there were no fragments in the cylinders. I ran the boat after that on the trailer, but have not run it in the water or at load since.

I'm an electrician, mechanically inclined and have run large yachts for much of my life, so generally speaking, I have the non-Mercury/Mariner or outboard specific stuff like safety, batteries, connections, switches and such handled. But I'm not so bold as to profess to know-it-all or assume I haven't missed anything. Therefore, I would appreciate any advice or recommendations/reminders as to what I should check for before firing it up and starting to use it again.

Here is what I have on my list so far:

1) I have drained the fuel in the tanks and fuel filter
2) Rinsed fuel tanks with fresh fuel and drained that fuel
3) Drained and rinsed the 2-stroke oil tank and reservoir
4) Checked tanks, hoses and clamps for fuel and oil
5) Removed gearcase for oil and impeller change
6) Checked trim motor and hydraulics
7) Checked steering (Sea Star Pro)

Of the things I have checked so far I have found the following:

1) Slop in the steering which I will bleed-any other recommendations with steering?
2) The audible alarms on the engine are not working. The light indicators work, but the audible alarms that always sound when the key is turned to the 'on' position are not. Recommendations?
3) Which outboard oil do you recommend for this vintage motor that I will typically run above 5,000 RPM's?

Based upon what you know so far, I would sincerely appreciate any and all advice and recommendations before I light her up again.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Resurrecting 1995 Mariner 3.0L 225 EFI on Bass Boat

If it been setting this long,remove VST tank and clean,test fuel pump to see if it works,have injectors cleaned...

PESCAHOLIC

Cadet

I appreciate the suggestions.

Removing the tank looks straight-forward, but is there anything special I should look for or know about its R&R and taking it apart to clean?

Does the VST have its own pump or are you suggesting to test the lift pump?

With regards to the injectors, is that something I can do myself with an OTC product or should I have it done at a dealer?

Thank you.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Does the VST have its own pump or are you suggesting to test the lift pump?
High pressure pump is in tob dsewndsb t......
With regards to the injectors, is that something I can do myself with an OTC product or should I have it done at a dealer?
Cheaper to send off to Brucatosvs.com

PESCAHOLIC

Cadet

Appreciate the input. Question though, is there a downside or risk to simply draining/cleaning/flushing the VST and then running it before I send the injectors off for cleaning?

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

Appreciate the input. Question though, is there a downside or risk to simply draining/cleaning/flushing the VST and then running it before I send the injectors off for cleaning?

Yes if the injector is clogged it could make your motor run lean and cause a cylinder failure on the power head. I wouldn't run it over idle before having the injectors serviced.

I would also replace all the fuel lines from the tank to the engine including the primer bulb as there is no telling what the ethanol has done to them and rebuild the pulse fuel pump while your at it.

You can use Quicksilver Premium Plus two stroke oil.

As for the buzzer check that all electrical connections are clean and tight.

PESCAHOLIC

Cadet

Most of the engine related work and ALL oil and fuel hose replacements are complete...hope to fire it up on Friday. Still a lot of work to do overall, but I've made some serious progress and have incorporated your recommendations.

I have some questions regarding setting WOT as my butterflies are not opening 100%. I have read some info that states WOT on thjis motor should be done with a timing light and others that state it should be done with a VOM....which could explain why I don't see the butterflies opening 100%. Open to any feedback and will update soon with progress photos.

Rob

PESCAHOLIC

Cadet

Major milestone today:

Resurrection of a 1993 Champion 201 DC Bass Boat - YouTube

I have several weeks in to getting it ready to float today. Complete drain and flush of fuel and oil tanks, replacement of all fuel/oil/bleed lines, replacement of all o-rings in the fuel rail and fuel system, cleaning and calibration of injectors, rebuild fuel pumps, complete adjustments of ignition/shift/throttle systems, impeller replacement, t-stats, gearcase oil, flush and bleed steering system, tires, bearings, brakes, etc. plus a lot more, too....but you get the picture! Fortunately parts have been minimal and I've managed to perform all of the engine work myself. I still have a long 'to-do list', but today's sea-trial was a big step.

PESCAHOLIC

Cadet

I still have a list of projects to complete but this is this is the progress so far.

Here’s the hull and trailer at the time it was uncovered:

1DSC_9911-1.jpg

1DSC_9907-1.jpg

1DSC_9906.jpg

1DSC_9904.jpg

PESCAHOLIC

Cadet

Here?s the engine, steering, and jack plate before being cleaned:

1DSC_9905-1.jpg

1DSC_1007.jpg

1DSC_0210.jpg