Sikkens Cetol for marine use

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Sikkens Cetol for marine use

Who recommended it?... and who applied it?

How was the surface prepped for it?

Was it applied with the boat still on the water?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Cetol 1 is not the same as cetol marine .. its not the same as cetol clear ..

You have to follow directions for those products.

Prep is key .. you dont have grey areas before applications ..

YD.

Nereida

Recruit

I'm not into rubbishing anyone in particular. Who recommended it is not important. We queried at the time that we were not given Sikkens Marine and our supplier told us that Sikkens marine had been discontinued and that Sikkens Cetol was suitable for marine use. There was nothing wrong with the timber prep. It was applied following the instructions on the tin at the boat yard. It's simply the wrong product.
We were recommended Sikkens Cetol as an alternative to yacht varnish. Just to let everyone know this product is not suitable for marine use. To see what happened take a look at SIKKENS TIMBER TREATMENT - WARNING ? Eclipse Sailing

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

This really sounds like an issue you need to take up with your supplier then. They should own up to their mistake and make ammends.

You can also chalk this up to one of lifes unfortunate lessons, never use questionable products for marine applications... stick with the tried and true.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I'm not into rubbishing anyone in particular. Who recommended it is not important. We queried at the time that we were not given Sikkens Marine and our supplier told us that Sikkens marine had been discontinued and that Sikkens Cetol was suitable for marine use. There was nothing wrong with the timber prep. It was applied following the instructions on the tin at the boat yard. It's simply the wrong product.

Wash it all down and apply some Varnish if you want that Teak to stand a chance in hell... or dont varnish it at all !!

Teak is something that you dont minwax or cetol. .. though if I had the choice I would go with Minwax spar varnish instead of some Cetol 1 or cetol marine ..

I would go without nothing other than a coating of teak oil or salt water across my teak decks in the long run. ..

Truth be told you dont need anything other than a few upkeep sandings for teak ..

YD.

Nereida

Recruit

It's not a question of "taking it up" with anyone. I'm sure the advice was given in good faith. It was just the wrong advice. Just to let other people know not to try it!
Wash it all down and apply some Varnish if you want that Teak to stand a chance in hell... or dont varnish it at all !!

Teak is something that you dont minwax or cetol. .. though if I had the choice I would go with Minwax spar varnish instead of some Cetol 1 or cetol marine ..

I would go without nothing other than a coating of teak oil or salt water across my teak decks in the long run. ..

Truth be told you dont need anything other than a few upkeep sandings for teak ..

YD.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Ok, it sounds like the inexperienced listened to the unknowing... I've had that happen to me before, and it's all part of getting experience.

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Nereida

Recruit

As a follow up to my previous post about Sikkens for marine use. Well, as the Sikkens had pretty much all sloughed off within a few short weeks, we gave it a slight sanding and applied Epifanes yacht varnish. This has not been entirely problem free - the Greek sunshine mixed with salt water is pretty tough on any finish and we find we have to spot treat lifting areas about every 3 weeks or so. It's a rather less subtle as a finish than the Sikkens but generally much better. The Sikkens, by the way, which was used to treat the interior timbers in the heads has been fine. For a photos of the 2 finishes side by side see Eclipse Sailing Blog Archives - Eclipse Sailing