Replace a stringer drive with a merc alpha 1?

rykersdad1

Seaman Apprentice
Has anyone ever done this? I know it can be done i am just curious if someone has done it before and what all it will take. I found a complete gen 2 mercruiser alpha 1 complete set up and am currently completely redoing my boat and would like to retire the stringer drive and get something a little better to work with. I have an 85 bayliner 1950 with the omc 5.0. thanks for any help and the ability to point me in the right direction.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Replace a stringer drive with a merc alpha 1?

empty the hull of the engine and drive. Use plywood and fiberglass to fill in transom cutout.
(consult this forum Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair )
Then you can use the Mercruiser installation manual to get dimensions for stringer height and distance from keel for making the new Merc keyhole cutout. The "X dimension" as it is often called will help you center the gimballed transom mount setup in the new transom at the proper height. The engine is then centered to that. (Engine crank centerline dead center of gimbal bearing)

If you currently have selectrim, you'll need fixed engine mounts from a Merc setup and the Y pipe for exhaust etc. as well as the obvious drive/transom assembly, and wood and glass stuff.

although this other Bayliner is VP powered, I suspect the pics in this thread would be quite useful for transom work and seeing how the bilge area of your boat is constructed:
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...pr-1950i-volvo-penta-aq125a-resto-555694.html

rykersdad1

Seaman Apprentice

i have been following that thread he is doing some great work. thanks for the heads up my next question was going to be what is the X dimension. i have a thread in the restoration section i just thought this might be the place to get this question answered.

Bondo

Staff member

i have been following that thread he is doing some great work. thanks for the heads up my next question was going to be what is the X dimension. i have a thread in the restoration section i just thought this might be the place to get this question answered.

Ayuh,.... If ya ain't figured it out yet, ya Gotta swap, Everything, from the pulleys to the prop...

The only possible part ya can reuse would be the motor's Long Block...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Has anyone ever done this? I know it can be done i am just curious if someone has done it before and what all it will take. I found a complete gen 2 mercruiser alpha 1 complete set up and am currently completely redoing my boat and would like to retire the stringer drive and get something a little better to work with. I have an 85 bayliner 1950 with the omc 5.0. thanks for any help and the ability to point me in the right direction.

Assuming you plan on sticking with a 5.0 or 5.7 engine, and the Gen II drive, here is an install manual for the Alpha I Gen II drive.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/alo9wnvnqlq6hiw/2000 Gas Alpha Install.pdf

The X dimension layout is on pages 33 and 34. The X dimension is the center-line of the crankshaft.

Since you are working on the boat in the resto forum, be sure you have the transom at the proper specs. They are on page 7 of the install manual. It's VERY important to have the transom right.

rykersdad1

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the input guys. yes i have an complete genII set up i have the whole boat. I am aware that omc and merc have zero interchangeability. Both are sbc set ups. I have been doing some serious research about the topic and i am leaning towards replace the ball gears on my stringer and leaving it in the bliner and redoing the other boat after i complete the bliner. after looking at the donor boat it will make a hell of a nice boat for the large lake i am on. and it will have some ocean capabilities as well. the full swap is a little more then i really want to do and my stringer is in good shape (for a stringer)

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

I have been doing some serious research about the topic and i am leaning towards replace the ball gears on my stringer and leaving it in the bliner and redoing the other boat after i complete the bliner.

Are the ball gears the only thing wrong with the stringer? I vote leave it in. They arent hard to work on once you get to know them. I even went so far as to obtain a complete spare drive for mine should I ever grenade the thing by accident and need to replace it. If you look around enough, you can find complete drives for cheap. I got mine for $250 and it also included all the hard to find power steering parts.

vi

Seaman

Hey I was going to do the same swap and decided not to,just because but if you have the time its a good way to go. Just make sure you hull is sound, my 02, keep us informed over in hull restoration;)