Recommendations on a keel guard...

Going to be installing one of these soon, but wanted to see if there were certain brands that were better than others, be it in price, quality, protection level, etc. Planning on doing some beaching this summer and heard that installing one of these would be a good idea.

After some very high level searching, I came accross this company? Any good? Is $225 a decent price for a 26 foot boat?

Megaware KeelGuard offers the toughest protection for boats and watercraft

eavega

Lieutenant
Re: Recommendations on a keel guard...

I've just purchased a KeelSheild for my "new to me" boat. Previous to that I had one on my 15' tri-hull. I only used it for a summer, but it definitely protected the keel from scratches and gouges of multiple beachings and one run-up onto a ramp. The KeelShield was a snap to install and only required you to be meticulous about prepping the area. Also, you have to make sure that the keelSheild does not get pinched between a roller and the keel. Per the folks at KeelSheild, the vibrations from the road will eventually cause the keelShield to come loose.
I paid $100 for the 6' keelshield and $125 for the 7' I am installing on my 17' bowrider. I figure that its worth the money to keep from having to repair gouges in the keel after a season of beaching.

Rgds

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

What kind of prep is required and how are these installed? Glue?

eavega

Lieutenant

The prep us to clean the application area meticulously. You scuff the surface and little, then clean again. The adhesive is on the keelshield itself, and the package comes with an activator you apply to your cleaned surface. The key to putting it on is keeping it straight, and applying pressure evenly to make sure it all adheres. You can optionally seal it around the edges with a bead of 5200 or other marine sealant.