mercruiser 3.7 I4 parts

g6raptor1

Recruit
I have a 1988 Mercruiser 3.7 I4 and im going to be overhauling the entire engine in a few weeks....do the parts for this match up to any automotive engine parts? just wondering if some parts would be less expensive in the automotive application of this engine if any?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: mercruiser 3.7 I4 parts

Some do, some don't. The block is all Mercruiser, never was a car. The head and valve train is from a Ford 460.

g6raptor1

Recruit

so should i assume there would be no cross on something like the starter?

Don S

Nope, no cross on starters, carbs, distributors, tuneup parts, or anything like that.

Capt Ken

Commander

Actually the starter is used on other engines, the distributor is delco parts, carb is a Rodchester but that is about it. You can use pistons out of a 460 along with valves and head if needed. Head gasket is the same as a 460. Push rods are an animal of their own. The color band on them determines length so don't mix them up. If it was me, I would find a good 4.3 V6 take out and change it over being the outdrive gearing is the same and less troublesome.

Don S

Actually the starter is used on other engines, the distributor is delco parts, carb is a Rodchester but that is about it. You can use pistons out of a 460 along with valves and head if needed. Head gasket is the same as a 460.

Carbs, igniton, starters, etc. are marine parts, not automotive. I would be very leary of using an automotive head gasket on a 470.

If it was me, I would find a good 4.3 V6 take out and change it over being the outdrive gearing is the same and less troublesome.

If you can find the right exhaust Y pipes and accessories to fit a V6. That gets expensive fast unless you can find a donor boat with all the parts.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Starters are available on e-bay for a reasonable price, some aftermarket gaskets are available for a lower price, but for critical components like seals and ESPECIALLY THE HEAD GASKET, stick with the OEM Mercruiser parts. Way better off in the long run.