Where and How to Mount Fire Extinguisher

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
I'm going to be mounting a fire extinguisher on my boat. I'm thinking of a location on the steering console, so it will be both easily accessible and out of the way. The specific location I'm thinking of is under the wheel (see attached photo) on the downward facing surface.

I'm a little concerned with the bracket that came with the extinguisher. It is made of plastic. So, if I mount it under the wheel and the bracket breaks, or vibrates open, the extinguisher will come down squarely on my toes (ouch!).

Any thoughts on that location? Anybody have experience with the durability of those plastic brackets (the extinguisher is the Kidde "Mariner 5", sold by West)?

Does anybody make a stainless steel generic bracket that would fit my extinguisher and maybe be more durable?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Attachments

• Console1.jpg
    Console1.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 0

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Where and How to Mount Fire Extinguisher

I also have one with the plastic bracket it will be fine.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... That spot is no doubt "within reach of the operator", 'n I agree, the plastic brackets are OK, for use...

Ya just gotta change the bracket, when ya change extinguisher, I find, they're pretty much a single use bracket...

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I replaced the plastic brackets with metal (Kidde 10, I believe) after a rough ride broke one of the plastic ones. Bought the brackets at West. If you stay with plastic, be sure to mount the extinguisher vertically, so that the 'catch' alone isn't supporting all of the weight.

My .02

tpenfield

Staff member

Yes, I have the plastic bracket and all of my toes. :D

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mine came with a plastic bracket mounted aft starboard and only lasted a few years before the UV light destroyed it. Replaced with metal. You don't want it falling off.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

MyKIDD came with a plastic bracket but I think it said in the instructions "not for marine use" so i bought a metal one. I get in some pretty bad water on lk Michigan and didn't want it to come loose. Though I wonder in a gas powered boat if it makes sense to try and put a fire out or just jump in the water and swim away,,,,,,,,,lol.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

I replaced the plastic brackets with metal (Kidde 10, I believe) after a rough ride broke one of the plastic ones. Bought the brackets at West. If you stay with plastic, be sure to mount the extinguisher vertically, so that the 'catch' alone isn't supporting all of the weight.

My .02

Checked West on-line. Much more substantial bracket at $10.49, w/free shipping to my local store, seems like cheap insurance. So I went ahead an bought one.

I don't know the setup of your boat, but you might consider mounting it in a storage hatch that has easy access. Your concern about the extinguisher falling in rough seas is valid. More importantly, I think it's just as likely that you'll be stopped vs moving when/if something catches fire. So mounting it under the steering wheel might be harder to get to than a hatch.

Mine is in a storage hatch near the rear of the boat. My assumption is that a boat fire may be related to gasoline and/or motor more than anything.

airshot

Rear Admiral

Just thought I would bring up a safety tip for fire extinguisher use on watercraft. It is highly recomended that at the beginning and a couple times during the season a fire extinguisher should be shaken to loosen the dry chemical retardant contained inside. The pounding of a watercraft going thru waves may cause the dry powder to compact into the container and fail to come out when needed. I usually give mine a good shaking at the start of the season and a couple times during, also gives you a chance to check the charge. This is recomended by fire marshals who work in the water craft areas. Many courtesy inspectors will shake your extinguisher to see if the chemical is loose as well.

Airshot

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

I don't know the setup of your boat, but you might consider mounting it in a storage hatch that has easy access. Your concern about the extinguisher falling in rough seas is valid. More importantly, I think it's just as likely that you'll be stopped vs moving when/if something catches fire. So mounting it under the steering wheel might be harder to get to than a hatch.

Mine is in a storage hatch near the rear of the boat. My assumption is that a boat fire may be related to gasoline and/or motor more than anything.

Mine is pretty much an open skiff. No hatches/compartments suitable for mounting the extinguisher.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just thought I would bring up a safety tip for fire extinguisher use on watercraft. It is highly recomended that at the beginning and a couple times during the season a fire extinguisher should be shaken to loosen the dry chemical retardant contained inside. The pounding of a watercraft going thru waves may cause the dry powder to compact into the container and fail to come out when needed. I usually give mine a good shaking at the start of the season and a couple times during, also gives you a chance to check the charge. This is recomended by fire marshals who work in the water craft areas. Many courtesy inspectors will shake your extinguisher to see if the chemical is loose as well.

Airshot

I like to run a halon extinguisher. They are quite a bit more... sure helps they are the same ones that the aircraft i work on are using :). But might be something for you guys to take a look at. Also, if you ever have to use the extinguisher they are clean.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

After mulling over alternatives, and a delay while doing some work on the console and underlying bench, here's where I ended up.

I purchased the all metal bracket from West. Didn't fit :( After closer reading I noticed that, although it said it was for a 5 lb. extinguisher, it was for the halide (?) type, not the dry chemical. No hassel return at West and, since I'd ordered it for pick-up at my local store, not even shipping costs.

So, at this location, using the supplied plastic bracket, it is handy to the pilot and won't drop on my toes if it ever comes loose. Won't interfer with the shift/throttle - plenty of clearance.

I've got the fuel tank mounted just forward of the control console and the control console is mid-ship - so me and the extinguisher are right in the middle of the most likely fire action.

Attachments

• Fire Extinguisher Mar 2013.jpg
    Fire Extinguisher Mar 2013.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 0