95 Johnson 50hp

mclothier3

Seaman Apprentice
I recently purchased what I think is a 1994 Sea Nymph Tx175 that has a 1995 Johnson 50hp (J50TLEOD)

sea-nymph_zpsb70f4f54.jpg

According to the previous owner and my own observations... the boat has been sitting outside, uncovered for the last 4 years. After looking at it and talking to him, I believe he just put gas and oil in it and ran it. I don't believe he did much in the way of maintenance.

I also don't believe he ever winterized it, the fuel line was still attached, and whats left in the tank has turned to varnish.

He explained to me that the last several times he had it on the water, the engine wasn't running right and would not come up on plane. He thought for sure is was a carb problem, and I pretty much agreed with him.

After I got it home, I popped the cover off and found this...

johnson_zps322a9ebd.jpg

Now, I'm not a outboard mechanic by any means, but i'm not afraid to turn a wrench or two, and I'm still waiting for my service manual to arrive, but wouldn't that linkage that is unhooked have anything to do with the spark advance? I'm thinking it is... and I think that would explain why he couldn't get the boat up to speed.

At any rate, I have been reading up, and there's a TON of good info here... My to-do list now includes:

Carb rebuilding kits
Fuel pump rebuild kit
New water pump
Replace lower unit lube
Lose the oil injection stuff
Compression check
Decarbing
Plugs
Flush the fuel tank
New fuel line and bulb

anything I missed?

One question I do have, Regarding the steering... it appears to be seized at the engine. Does anyone know if this is normal with the engine tilted in the up position? is there some kind of steering lock that engages if its tilted up? I will have to get some more pictures to explain, but everything appears to be free, except the part that is attached to the engine.

Thanks in advance for the help, I hope to get it up and running in the next month or two, hopefully in time to go chase white bass and crappie.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
Re: 95 Johnson 50hp

Nice little motor. Sounds like you are on the right track with everything. I wouldn't try to start it before you drained the old fuel out and at least did the carburetor rebuilds.

Yes, the linkage is for the spark advance. I think you're right in that would result in a big loss of power.

For standard Teleflex style steering cables there is no lock that prevents the motor from turning when tilted up. It's very possible the steering rod is seized after sitting 4 years. You could try and break it loose by spraying some penetrating oil, WD 40 etc and a little muscle. Sometimes that works. If it does come loose clean it thoroughly and re-grease with some OMC triple guard to prevent it from happening again.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You're on the right track. Get back to us when you get these items done and let us know how it runs. Don't be afraid to ask questions along the way. Good Luck :joyous:

mclothier3

Seaman Apprentice

Ok I got the steering figured out. a little PB blaster and a few well placed taps with a hammer, and everything loosened up. I went ahead and pulled it all apart, cleaned it up and re-lubed. And that's one less item to worry about.

I did put a battery in it and run the trim down, And found that Im gonna have a bunch of electrical problems with the accessory stuff... bilge, livewell, lights, etc. seemed like the switch panel will need some attention.

Oh, and I also got that linkage re-attached. It seemed to snap on there pretty tight, I don't see how it could have just fallen off?

Gotta get a list going, and start ordering parts.

hotshot123

Petty Officer 3rd Class

that linkage would totally ruin your day and not allow you to plane. Still, do what you planned because it needs it all anyway. that is a nice looking little rig you got there.

rpsloan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As the saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it. IMHO if the oil injection works, leave it be. I've had boats with oil injection and currently have one I premix. I sure wish it was oil injection. Keep an eye on the steering cable. Torquing on it too much if it is stiff will result in a break. (Been there, repaired that) was a bit of a chore in my bass boat. When you get around to wiring be sure to use marine grade connectors, shrink tubing and/or marine goop to seal connections to avoid corrosion.

Rick.

Captain

A fine looking rig you bought. Just wanted to say to drop the lower unit you need to undo the shift rod and it's location isn't in the manual. It is hidden just under the lower carb. A terrible thing to get to but some have said the easiest way to access it is to drop the lower cowling. With your intentions to re-kit both carbs. you will have access to it with them removed in any case. I have a 95-40HP. Johnson which have worked very well for me. I trust yours will prove dependable too. Best of luck. Rick.

mclothier3

Seaman Apprentice

rpsloan... Im not sure if the oil injection works or not? I thought about just flushing everything out, replacing the line and bulb from the tank to the engine because its hard as a rock, and giving it a try. The tank was left 1/2 full of oil and it smells more like anti-freeze than oil, lol.

I was also afraid to twist too much on the steering wheel fearing I would break something, I gave it a good look when I got it all apart and didn't see any problems, hopefully it will be fine.

And yes I agree on the electrical issues, I work in the electrical/electronics industry as a functional test - troubleshooter for a private jet manufacturer, so it looks like I will be going thru the entire system for sure.

Rick... Thanks, I had planned on doing the lower unit while the carbs were pulled because of the shift rod access issue, I got big hands so I need all the room I can get!

I purchased the entire rig for $1500 I feel I got a pretty good deal even with the issues. Pretty sure its going to make a decent little fishing rig. Cant wait to get it going.

mclothier3

Seaman Apprentice

I got the carbs pulled tonight, still waiting on my kits (should be this week, unless we get snowed in again) but I did get my service manual a couple days ago.

The more I look at it, this thing is clean! just a visual on the venturi and reeds, it looks amazingly clean! I figured there would be some carbon, but no. I went ahead and pulled the float bowl and found that it had mostly oil in it, and it also looks clean.

After pulling the carbs, I did locate the shift rod, and for the life of me I dont know how a person could get it undone without dropping the carbs. Im just a rookie but yeah I can see where removing the lower cowl would be a good idea. That bolt is buried!

I also went ahead and drained and flushed the oil tank, it did have some funk in the bottom, but it cleaned up nice. I will replace the lines and flush the pump, and hopefully everything works. If I cant get the VRO to work, Ill just switch it over to premix and be done with it. What oil is preferred in a Johnson? I went to the local Cabelas and they had a lot of different choices, Its been a long time since I last ran a 2 stroke, but Im pretty sure there are some oils I should stay away from.

Still need to flush the fuel tank, I did get a new fuel line and bulb.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Sounds like a lot of fun. Any two stroke oil will do as long as it's got the TCW3 rating and is NMMA certified.

Since you have cleaned out the oil tank you will need to run premix in your fuel tank until you can be certain the oil injection is working. i.e. mark a line on the tank level and run it long enough to see that it is dropping. The premix should be 50:1 while you do this. Personally, I would put a rubber plug on the oil inlet and just run premix fuel but that's up to you.

Cheers

rpsloan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used to go to the dealership and buy bulk 2-stroke oil for my Johnson. If you bring your own gallon jug it's usually super cheap. I used to obtain it for a little over $5/gallon. Now I just run the premium two stroke oil from West Marine. Just look at the jug they usually will say if they are approved for which manufacturers.

Rick.

Captain

When you get your oil tank filed pull the oil line at the engine and pump the bulb until the air is out then connect it and pump it one more time. Then use a premix as stated above until your certain it's drawing oil. I didn't do it right a wile back and ended up filling my carbs. with oil and no gas. the funny thing. . . my manual says "disconnect shift linkage" and that's all. Took me a day to find it and a great deal of frustration undoing it and even more putting it back together. I saw posts about dropping the lower cowl after and thought I will try that next time. Rick.

mclothier3

Seaman Apprentice

All good advice, thanks

And Rick... yes my manual is the same, it just says to disconnect the shift linkage, but dont really show where or how.

Ive already decided that if I have to drop the lower unit again... either the carbs or the lower cowl will have to come off.

mclothier3

Seaman Apprentice

Got the water pump replaced tonight, Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. Everything came apart real easy, and went right back together no problems. IT seemed like the hardest part was installing the impeller on the keyway, I had to hold my mouth just right before it popped back on.

The old water pump was worn, but there is no doubt it would have still worked..... just no telling how long though! it did have some dry rot going on so who knows, It might have fallen apart 1st time out.

I still have to reconnect the shift linkage, but it shouldn't be too hard. Next up.... Carbs!

mclothier3

Seaman Apprentice

I got the shiftrod put back together tonight, not as bad as I was expecting. Would have been even easier if I wouldnt have taken off the bracket that connects the rod to the cross shaft. Here are a couple of pics...

shiftrod2_zpsf0923883.jpg

This is the forward facing bolt (under the carb flange) Looking aft

shiftrod_zpsbb98d9ea.jpg

This is the side bolt (port) and shows the extension and swivel below the pulse valve. You can also see a nice little spot on the pulse line that looks like its been chafed almost all the way thru. (will be replacing that for sure)

shiftrod1_zpsca4dc502.jpg

This shot shows the swivel and extension to access the forward facing bolt, and how clean the intake port and reed is (kinda figured it would be dirtier than it is)

carbs_zps5a94d0f8.jpg

Carbs are also pretty clean, will give them a nice soak and install the new kits here soon.

vro_zps81919948.jpg

Now this is the part I have a question on... I want to replace the oil line from the VRO tank to the engine since it was pretty hard, as you can see (barely in my blurry pic) I cut the line. The question is... how do you replace the line if I cant get the top cap apart? assuming is does come apart? or does the rubber line just make a 90 degree turn and go straight to the pickup? I detached the line from the pickup to attempt to push the line thru the top cap, but it wasnt wanting to go, and I dont really want to break anything at this point.

rpsloan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not 100% sure but it looks like it is one piece and would have to be replaced as such. I've not had to replace that so maybe someone can enlighten us and I can learn something as well.

mclothier3

Seaman Apprentice

Well... Im pretty sure the cap is two piece, you can see the parting line in the above pic, but it appears to be glued together and I didnt just want to muscle it apart and break it if I didnt have to. I would hope I dont have to buy a new assembly.... Im sure its not cheap!

mclothier3

Seaman Apprentice

I did find the pickup assembly on eBay for $70 which isnt too bad, but I really dont want to spend the money on it if I dont know if the VRO system is working or not?

Ive looked at the parts listing and it dont show that the line is separate, it looks like it comes as one unit with the pickup assembly and line already installed.

Pretty sure I can get that top cap apart without destroying it... I hope! but it would sure save me a little grief if someone already knew the answer.

EDIT>>> I did get it apart tonight, I dont think it was meant to come apart.... but I did it anyways. Pretty sure it will still work. Ill get some pics up later.

Last edited:

mclothier3

Seaman Apprentice

I finally got all the oil lines replaced, new fuel lines and tank, carbs gone thru, etc.

I did a compression check and found the top cylinder at 170 psi, bottom cylinder 160 psi, this was after removing the plugs and squirting some pb blaster in the cylinders, carbs and air silencer installed and throttle at idle.

Filled the new fuel tank with 50:1 and primed the lines, also filled the VRO tank with oil and purged the air out of the lines.
I think Im ready to fire it off, tomorrow might be the day.

mclothier3

Seaman Apprentice

Its alive!! it fired right off and after a few minutes of running it settled down and runs pretty smooth. I think I have the idle mix pretty darn close to where it needs to be.... it idles nice and smooth and it doesn't appear to stumble or load up when the throttle is advanced. All in all I think this ones a winner!

Next step is to get it on the water and see how it runs.