New forum member and fuel usage question!:-)

Poliveira

Recruit
Hello everyone,

My name is Pedro i live in Portugal and i just bought a Glastron 207 Futura with a Merc 5.7 V8 :)

Can you please give me some heads up of the boat?Fuel consunptiom and maximum speed?

Thanks everyone!

agallant80

Commander
Re: New forum member and fuel usage question!:)

Welcome. Kinda hard to know fuel consumption. You will have to do the math but I would say at cruse 9-11GPH and WOT 20 or so GPH.

southkogs

Staff member

Welcome aboard Pedro: I would contact GLASTRON to see what specs are for the boat, but realize there are also a lot of factors that effect performance: the prop, how well tuned the engine is, how much stuff you have in the boat, etc., etc.

The best way to find out how fast it goes will probably be to put it in the water and track it with the GPS. For fuel consumption, same idea - put her on the water and find out how much you burn.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

General rule of thumb on 4-stroke fuel consumption is: Horsepower / 11 = gallons per hour at WOT

This isn't exact, but it's pretty close for a carbureted engine. EFI sometimes is a little more efficient (divide by 11.5). With 2-stroke outboards, divide by 10 (don't want to leave anyone out here :) )

For example, if your engine is the 250hp carbed 5.7, your wide open throttle fuel consumption will be about 23 gallons per hour (86 liters per hour on your side of the pond).

As for how much you'll actually burn at cruise (and fuel consumption per kilometer), that's going to vary based on about a hundred different factors. Maybe you could calculate it exactly, but you'd need a really sharp pencil and a lot of notebook paper.

For a closed bow runabout like the Futura, I'd plan on about 3.5 miles per gallon (about 67 liters per 100km). Might be a little more or a little less, but that's a close estimate IF the boat is running well AND you run at an economical cruise speed.

UncleWillie

Captain

Performance should be a little better than this Glastron 205.
Click on "Test Results".

Expect the fuel economy to be a little worse.

Poliveira

Recruit

Thank you all for the quick replies, i will do some tests and give a feedback, at least know i have an ideia!