Kicker motor hp upgrade...

richardgreen

Seaman
Looking for knowledgeable opinions here on kicker motor performance...

Current backup motor on my rig is a late 80s Yamaha 4hp. If I replace it with an early 80s Evinrude 8hp do you think I'd notice a significant gain in performance? Boat is a relatively light tinny runabout, about 700lbs including motor. I take long cruises with the whole family out on the river, sometimes 20 miles or more one way. River current is noticable but not severe. Main concern here is top speed to get back home in a pinch, not slow trolling. I don't know if the gain in hp would really equate to much speed difference.

Anybody have experience with this and could make comment? Thanks,

RG

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Kicker motor hp upgrade...

It could be a very modest gain, or more significant if you can plane with the 8 but not with the 4. Hard to tell without an actual test.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

From my experience, Yes.

Steering control and thrust will be noticeable.
Speed will increase from 2 or 3 mph, to about 6 mph.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

of course none of this advice means anything without the boat specs

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

of course none of this advice means anything without the boat specs

agreed. And why be concerned about improving performance in an emergency that should only occur once every few years? You need to be safe and able to handle your conditions (in your case, current is #1). How many times have you had to use the one you have to get home? if more than a couple, focus on your primary power instead.

I'm not one who buys into the "extra motor" strategy, unless for trolling as the primary purpose, or those in extremely remote locations.

If you are resolved to the need to have a back-up for safety reasons, focus on the safety: it has to be as reliable as possible. Never switch an old reliable motor with another old (worse here, older) unknown motor.

If you already have a small motor lying around, fine, but it's not wise use of money to buy one, IMO. If you really need it that bad, plunk down the $2000 for a new one. Not worth it? Aha.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If I replace it with an early 80s Evinrude 8hp do you think I'd notice a significant gain in performance?

In short, yes.

The 4 probably isn't capable of pushing your boat to it's max displacement speed. The 8 probably is.