a thermostats a thermostat right??

markle

Seaman Apprentice
aq151 motor thermostat 33 euro

volvo 740 thermostat < 5 euro

to my mind they do the same job, my question is ... is this another case of adding the word Penta and bumping the price!

As cash rich as I am I do not want to waste the 5 euro on a car thermostat if it doesn't work :)

Bondo

Staff member
Re: a thermostats a thermostat right??

aq151 motor thermostat 33 euro

volvo 740 thermostat < 5 euro

to my mind they do the same job, my question is ... is this another case of adding the word Penta and bumping the price!

As cash rich as I am I do not want to waste the 5 euro on a car thermostat if it doesn't work :)

Ayuh,.... T-stats are 'bout Temperature, Not euros...

If it's the Right Temperature, 'n fits the housin', is what counts....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Two completely different types of engines (and thermostats), the 151 is a Volvo 4 cylinder, the 740 is a GM 7.4L engne.

They may both be thermostats, but a Volkswagen and a Ferrari are also both cars.

markle

Seaman Apprentice

Volvo 740 (its a 530 head on a red block) this may well be another Europe Usa language divide like the plus gas incident :)

The stat is the right temp but the car runs in to a rubber hose not an elbow, but that said they do look the same which is probably where I start to go wrong!

Gonna go with your initial advice

"If it's the Right Temperature, 'n fits the housin', is what counts.... "

and buy the car stat, and if only we had 7.4 motors here in the Uk with petrol (or gas) costing around ?1.35 or $2.11 per litre car engines tend to be smaller :)

My largest was a 4.6 v8 and people thought I was nuts (they were right but it was a big old motor).

Mark

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

$8 a gallon! Wow!

I put a standard thermostat in my motor (Volvo 2.1L). If it's closed cooling I don't see why it would make a difference as long as it's the right temperature.

markle

Seaman Apprentice

That's probably why we pay by the litre :)

quintonwatts

Seaman Apprentice

For my penny's worth (proper currency) get the right thermostat and have peace of mind. Put in a speciulative substitute and when you have temperature problems you will question whether the thermostat is wrong or something else. If a job is worth doing it is worth doing properly.