Evinrude gear box and trim tilt drain plugs

5342cook

Cadet
Hi I'm currently in the process of over hauling my evinrude 1978 85hp 85899c

I'm having a slight problem undoing my gear box and trim tilt drain plugs I'm wondering of anyone has any ideas whether or not there is a requirement for any speacial tool or procedures to undo these plugs or whether iv just got to keep searching until I find the right screw driver for the job

Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude gear box and trim tilt drain plugs

Get an impact type screw driver and get a bit for it that fits the whole length of the slot in the screw and you should have no probs.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Agreed--impact driver is tool #1. From other posts on the topic, lots of guys have made a screwdriver to fit by grinding down the tip, finding a big piece of metal, etc. I have an old Craft5man inmpact I found at a yard sale and the bit just happens to fit those screws perfectly. I'd rather lose the driver than that one bit.

Another good trick is to put some channel lock pliers on the screwdriver to give you more leverage to turn it; one hand can put 100% effort in pressure against the screw while the other turns it.

5342cook

Cadet

hey guys thanks so much for your replys. Ive been and bought an impact driver it then took me no more than half an hour to change the gear box oil and check the hydraulic fluid on the trim. Definately needed to spend the money to make life ten times easier thanks again

now a second question iv just topped of the trim hydraulic fluid until it started coming out of the drain hole then quickly replaced the plug would this be the correct procedure for topping up?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Did you have it in the the full tilt up position when you filled it ??

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Fully trimmed up....... Correct.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Once the trim reservoir is filled, you'll want to run the trim through a number of up/down cycles. That will cause the trim system to internally self-bleed. Then recheck the fluid level in the reservoir again. If the fluid was low, you may need to do this a couple of times to get the air out of the system.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

keep an eye on the aluminum tube under the unit; they can leak where they attach and I had one corrode through. I've never liked that design

boobie

Supreme Mariner

On that unit you should run it up and down 5 times.

5342cook

Cadet

Great stuff all topped up now an air bled out thanks for the help gents