Throttle and wiring controls

cusoak

Seaman
Hi I have a 1963 45 hp Mercury outboard.
The motor came with 3 sets of controls.
How could I determine which one would work.
They all have the same number of holes in the wiring plug that match up with what the motor prongs.
They also have the same choke buttom.
They also have a release arm that I think allows you to rev up the motor upon starting.
All have a key start, allthough I do not have any keys.
If it would help I can post pics if you can do so on this forum
Would it be that either would work.
Thanks Jeff

daveswaves

Ensign
Re: Throttle and wiring controls

Hi I have a 1963 45 hp Mercury outboard.
The motor came with 3 sets of controls.
How could I determine which one would work.
They all have the same number of holes in the wiring plug that match up with what the motor prongs.
They also have the same choke buttom.
They also have a release arm that I think allows you to rev up the motor upon starting.
All have a key start, allthough I do not have any keys.
If it would help I can post pics if you can do so on this forum
Would it be that either would work.
Thanks Jeff

From what you describe either of the three will work for you. Select the one that moves the smoothest. If you take the control apart you will find the key number on the back of the ignition switch. Just order that number from your local mercury dealer.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

In addition, the little lever you refer to is the FAST IDLE control. It's used in starting the engine: Put the engine vertical with the fuel bulb pumped up firm. Shifter in N. Raise the lever as far as it will lift without forcing. Crank the engine. As soon as it lights off, get back on that lever immediately and control your rpms. 1000 to 2000 rpm is a good place to be. After a couple of minutes, push it all the way down and if the engine holds, you are good to go. If not stay at it a little longer.

When shifting the lever MUST be all the way down. If you choose to shift with it up, expect to be into your lower unit replacing parts.

The key will probably be marked with a 1A or 1B, or A1 or B1, don't remember. If it's too much trouble to find the number, just take the boat by your nearest dealer, or just order one of each over the www. Controls are basically aftermarket even though they are Quicksilver, which happens to be Merc's accessories name. As such they are made to fit a multitude of engines having different models mainly for mounting variances, hence there will be commonality in connectors and pin functions.

HTH,
Mark

cusoak

Seaman

Thanks for the help. I thought that they might all work, but did not know.
Where might I find a repair manual or wiring diagram for the 63 45hp merc.
Thanks Jeff

carholme

Rear Admiral

Do you know what your engine s/n is?

Gerry

cusoak

Seaman

The s/n is 1308416. Is there anything in the s/n that teel the year the motor was built. Model 400E.
Jeff

carholme

Rear Admiral