Plug Leads

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was experimenting with my spare dizzy cap today, as my leads are worn out I thought why cant I adapt, I had a spare set of carbon fibre 8mm plug leads, I stripped the cap and found the leads are merely a push in deal held in place by a big rubber washer inside the cap, I cut the end sof the carbon leads and they squeezed in no probs same for coil lead, local REPCO had new metal ends for the plugs and new rubber insulators, saved myself 60 bux these leads will give long life and easy enough to replace one day again, be interesting to see how the chrysler runs with these leads.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Plug Leads

I'll be interested too, as the manual calls for stranded solid copper core wires. Post results.

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah I will, most of these old motors were made well and truly before carbon technology with leads, I see no reason for them not to work Ill run it up over the weekend and see how it runs, after I fix this pesky fuel leak.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Those carbon fiber wires will likely have some very high resistance, which would be ok for a modern high powered auto ignition, but will probably not work with your outboard ignition. May actually damage the ignition.

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I cant find the old copper cored wire, not stocked by anyone locally, were only experimenting so just see how it goes

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Contact an antique car club. Members there will have a copper wire source.