Question for Indiana Catfisherman

tumblebug1949

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all,

I am retired and planning to do some catfishing from a pontoon boat in Indiana lakes. As a kid and up until I went in the military I did a lot of fishing and catfishing was was some of the best.

Anyway, my question pertains to the Indiana DNR regulations. I have read a lot about using shad, both hole and cut-bait as bait. There seem to be very few lakes where you can catch Gizzard Shad with a cast net and use them as live bait. It seems to state that gizzard shad have to be dead. The question is---- If you catch a gizzard shad with a cast net do you immediately have to kill it or are they just saying you can not bring gizzard shad from from another location to a state lake? I understand not wanting to introduce gizzard shad into a lake but if it is already there, why the restriction. I think live bait is supposed to be a great choice.

Thanks to anyone that can help clarify this for me.

Tom

Tyme2fish

Commander
Re: Question for Indiana Catfisherman

Taken from Indiana DNR.

You may use wild fish as live bait as long as the fish was caught legally and meets any size, catch, or possession limits established for that species. Goldfish may be used as live bait.

Live gizzard shad or threadfin shad collected at other water bodies will need to be killed immediately upon capture and cannot be possessed live.

I understand your confusion. I suggest you contact your local DNR officer and pose your question to him/her.

tumblebug1949

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Tyme2fish, I have read the regulation several times and if I can find a DNR Officer I will try to get it clarified. I do not plan to violate the regulations in any way and am fishing for for fun so being extra careful to comply is not a problem. What I guess isconfussing me is the wayI read it, except in specific named bodies of water, if you catch a gizzard shad from a lake, it must be killed immediately before it can be used for bait even in the lake you caught it in. I totally understand not introducing gizzard shad into a lake that does not have them but it it is caught in a lake it should be able to be used as live bait in that lake. I will talk to Indiana DNR to be sure I understand what the regulation is though.

Anyway, I am looking forward to a good year of catfishing. Just being out on the water is a pleasure.

Tyme2fish

Commander

I read it exactly as you have stated. It is a little confusing but does appear to state that if you net a gizzard shad in a body of water not listed as having said shad, it must be killed immediately.

But realistically, am I go to examine every bait fish I capture? Anyway, I fish only on the Ohio River so it is a mute point for me.

Good luck to you and let us know if and when you get a definitive answer.