Advice on boat purchase

StickyWidget

Seaman
I currently have a 14Ft Open Bow Seaswirl with a 1976 75HP Evinrude OB. The boat started out with a 40HP and I love the extra 35HP in the new to me engine.

The boat has a max capacity of 4 (I have a family of 5). I fish with friends but mostly just to kill time. During the summer we love to go tubing. Kids ages 13, 2 and 1. We stick to smaller rivers and lakes.

Looking at purchasing a bigger boat. The above boat was my first boat. Have had it for about 2 years.

I am looking at these two boats:

1988 Searay open bow 17 ft.
Like the price, that it's open bow. Clueless about I/O setup.

1980 Beachcraft 19 ft. Cuddy
Seams kinda pricy, like that it's an OB (Is it enough HP?) not keen on the cuddy.

Any advice any of you more experienced buyers have would be great.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Advice on boat purchase

Each of these boat would be a nice upgrade from your current boat.

You should check very carefully for soft floors rotted transoms, wet area down below. At these prices, not worth getting a surveyor, so you will have to check things out yourself. It would be best to take them out on the water for a test run, etc. before you decide to buy or anything like that.

I think the OB at 150 hp will be fine as will the 3.0L Mercruiser.

be prepared to fix things on either of these boats, as there will be some things that come up . . .

StickyWidget

Seaman

1989 Larsen

This one appears in better shape than both of the others. Comments on this one?

Any guesses on max person capacity on a 16.5ft boat?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I think my Larson 19' bowrider is slated for 8 or 9 people, but the reality is that, for any trip of more than an hour or two, five or six is about all that fits comfortably. By the time you get a cooler, skis or a tube, and personal belongings, there isn't much room for more people.

Jim

southkogs

Staff member

I like the Larson the best, and the Sea Ray second. I think with a family of 5 you'll want the bowrider as opposed to the cuddy. The Larson looks better cared for to me, but you'll lose a little space compared to the Sea Ray. Max capacity on the Sea Ray is probably 8 and max capacity on the Larson is probably six. That's being pretty cozy on both.

I take a family of five plus 2 dogs out on our 17' and we're fine on it ... but it is a full load. We had a 15' while the kids were younger like yours and it worked out okay.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think you'd find the cuddy boat cramped and the cuddy itself kinda useless for anything but storage (shame cuz that outboard on it is sweet). The SeaRay looks beat and likely has some rot going on somewhere. I'd pass on that one for sure. Getting caught up on deferred maintenance on an I/O can be real pricey unless you do the wrenching yourself. I like the Larson. Looks well maintained and has a real nice motor. Should serve your needs well.

carribbean soul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The capacity plate states 4 people OR a weight limit. with 4 people and fuel on board you are most likely over the capacity of the boat. please keep it in mind and buy to your needs accordingly.

flightdoc

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 19 foot bayliner cuddy and while I do lose some space that I wish had with an open bow all of that goes out the window when one of the little ones is tired and sleeping in the cuddy. Can't think about how many times our day out tubing would have to be cut short because one of my little ones started getting cranky. I just put them in the cuddy, put a movie in the portable DVD and they are content, plus it gets them out of the sun. the 1980 beachcraft looks great and the fact that it is pictured indoors does a lot for the value. I garaged boat has one big thing going for them, they were out of the elements.

As for capacity, as I said I have a 19 foot and my capacity is 6 people or 1090 lbs. It is powered by a Force 120 and it runs great so I think the 150 will move the beachcraft just fine. After that I would go with the larsen.

mr 88

Commander

Keep looking,the sea ray is a mess,vinyl is shot and probably soft wood all over,not taken care of.1980 beachcraft is not much better and at 3800 for a 33 year old boat it's way over priced The Larson appears to be taken care of and would be my choice of the three. In the long run it will not have the people capacity that will be needed. Sooner or later your kids are going to want to bring friends and she is lacking the room that you will need for guest.There are plenty of boats for sale,do not jump on the first one you see,keep reporting back here and get the correct info you will need to make your purchase a good one.

16victor

Seaman

I prefer the Larsen - The Chap looks a little sunburnt.

jestor68

Commander

I would give the outboard powered boat more serious consideration. :)

Yesterday

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmm I'm liking that Larson a lot! I'm also a huge bow rider fan! I'd agree with most the O/B would be the way to roll. I'd be tempted by either the Larson or the Chaparral.. Decisions.....

southkogs

Staff member

I like the looks of that Larson over that Chap. It's worth a look though.

StickyWidget

Seaman

Power vs Weight, what boat do you think would be better the 16.5ft Larson with 100HP, or the 19ft Chap with 150HP? And what are you typically getting in an extra 2.5 feet of boat?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The extra 2' will improve the ride quality by a large margin. The Larson probably has a little better power to weight ratio but that V6 outboard on the Chap shouldn't be a slouch either.

southkogs

Staff member

The extra 2' will improve the ride quality by a large margin. The Larson probably has a little better power to weight ratio but that V6 outboard on the Chap shouldn't be a slouch either.
+1 - the Chap will be a nice ridin' boat. Larson probably a bit "zippier."

StickyWidget

Seaman

A large portion of our family water sports is tubing, with the adults we like the "whip". The little boat I have now can turn on a dime. Would the handling of a boat five feet longer than my current boat kill off some of the cornering fun?

Just got off the phone with the Chap owner. Said that's a VRO model engine. If I go look at the boat is there anything in particular about the VRO system to look at?

Does that motor typically come with PTT? I can't really tell from the pictures.

64osby

Admiral

My experience with bigger boats and the "whip" is, it is not as fast. You have to build up the momentum of the tube. Once you get a rhythm is easy to keep it going. Went from a 16' closed bow to a 21' open bow.

VRO either works or doesn't, if all is working correctly a warning horn sounds if there are issues.

If the vintage of the motor is the same of the boat 1984ish, then I don't see a factory PT&T or a tilt unit. There would be a pump mounted on the starboard side of the motor.