My fleet grew by another Tinny.. Mirrocraft center console resto

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
I just bough another tin boat, this one being a 18.5' Center console... with three aluminum boats does that make me a Tin Commodore? :D My new one is a bit of a puzzler though as it has no Coast Guard tag, and when I called the manufacturer they said the serial number is not in the proper format... so its going to take some digging to pinpoint the year. Suffice it to say its a early to mid 80's on a very nice 1986 Shore Landr trailer. The deck has one soft spot andthe transom is old, but nothing that can't wait till next winter. The only down side is the engine. Its a 1970 85hp Evinrude Electric shift. But I got the whole package for $1400 :) now to find a donor glasser and upgrade the powerplant!

2013-02-11_13-27-32_203.jpg Photo by claycrusher1900 | Photobucket

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: My fleet grew by another Tinny..

Congrats on the new boat. Looks good. Just remember to stay clear of that dang pilot boat on the St Clair river, seems he like to get as close as he can and toss out the biggest wake possible.

Good luck on your year search. Couple weeks ago finally went to SOC to get all the paperwork completed on the Chief I got this past summer. Found out there was a title on file for it so I had to get a hold of old owner and have him meet me at SOC to apply for duplicate title and transfer so it all could be correct. He happily met me there and we got it all done........but wouldn't you know it, there way still no year of manufacture on the title either.......oh boy. So my year quest continues not only for the boat but for the engine too as Merc couldn't give me a manufacture date from the serial # on the block......go figure.

64osby

Admiral

Chief - Very cool.

The New Tin hull looks clean. Sounds like a good deal.

Did the PO say the motor was running good? I assume there was no water test. Keep us updated.

This was posted over in the Mirrocraft section.

Hello everyone,
Please email info@mirrocraft.com if you have your Mirrocraft boat serial number and I can email you the original brochure or close to it. We get alot of these requests daily but I thought I would put it out there.
Thanks,

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

64, I called Mirrocraft instead of emailing, they said they have no idea. Strange how a manufacturer (merc too from what Willy said) can't find records for certain serial number! The PO did state the engine runs well, and that he had put $1200 into it last year. It does have a part with bombedeer on it. But I just found out the transom needs to be replaced before use... just ripped a tie down eye hook out! Oh well, another project before spring!

64osby

Admiral

You been eating too much spinach?

Good to find out now and not drop that motor in the lake.

Don't know what to say on the serial number. Maybe it was stolen and some changed the number and removed the CG plate.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

I was trying to move the boat back a foot on the trailer, its very front heavy... lightly pulled with the atv and it popped out! No washer which is probably why, but I can see the wood is rotten. Oh well, since I did the transom on the SC I now have a wee glimmer of an idea how to go about this one!

Thanks to all of y'all's advice on models, I'm super stoked about this boat!! 115hp or 140hp, that is the question....

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Grab this 1972 Starcraft Chieftain, flip motors and resell

You are a man after my own heart 64! Craigslisting all day, and looking to flip boats! That would not be a bad idea... most of the donor glassers I'm looking at are at least that much $$. I am a bit worried about the way he states how he does not know if the engine runs though, its a long drive if its a dud motor! Plus, from selling my Chief, I'm not so sure its a easy boat to sell. But if the 140 Johnson I'm considering falls through, it might be worth looking into

Aw heck, email sent! I wonder what the Admiral would say to another tinny... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral

If the motor is good.

Even if you paid full price, $1200. Swap and flip fast at low $600. You're at your $2k with the motor you want.

That Chieftain has been for sale for several months, seller should deal. You could end up with a free motor.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Well, this is certainly a turn of events... From this just a few days ago:
If you had a choice between all 21' +/- SC models, and you wanted a general family tube/fish/chill on the water which would you choose?
P.s. MBS has nothing to do with this. Nope, nothing at all. Neither does Craigslist.....:bounce::bounce:

To this:
2013-02-11_13-27-32_203.jpg

And then add in some of this:
Grab this 1972 Starcraft Chieftain, flip motors and resell

You are a man after my own heart 64! Craigslisting all day, and looking to flip boats! That would not be a bad idea... But if the 140 Johnson I'm considering falls through, it might be worth looking into........Aw heck, email sent! I wonder what the Admiral would say to another tinny...

Sounds like Admiral 1973Chieftan is going to have a big, BIG day Thurs :rolleyes: :love_heart:

Or you'll be 'camping' out thru the weekend.......... Possibly longer.......

Nice looking MirroCraft, probably catch a few fish outta that
smiley-fish.gif

Best of luck: 'It's a DONOR Chieftan, honest.......'

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

I know JB, I was wanting a 21'er, but this was too good of a price to pass up! Plus the 22' SS I was thinking Bout was just too high of a price tag for what it was. Soooo 18' it is! Seriously though, I was comparing deck space between this one and a 21' Mariner and they were almost the same as the Mariner seems to have a much larger splash well and forward deck/live well. As to Thursday.... yeah.....

dozerII

Admiral

Great find on the CC Chief, if you meet me half way I'll take the Cheiftan at $600 anyday.:D

InMotion

Commander

Nice rig Chief --- or shall I say Commodore! Looks like a great workable project!

J.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Chief, you have problems.

Though, your problems are pretty darn cool!:becky:

Nice rig man!:thumb:

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

You know it Jason! :D

I'm debating engines for her though. I'm not a 100% which year this boat is, most were rated to 140 but some were 120's. I've found a running 1982 Johnson 140 for about $1500 from a private seller. But the local dealer that I trust and who has done all my previous engine work has a 1999 Force 120HP completely gone through by them for $2500. Both have power TnT. Any guesses as to what performance difference I would see between the two? Same HP's as the old 4 cylinder Mercruisers... guess anyone?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Force? Did you say Force? Uh, what was my other option again?

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

'99 was the last year Mercury made them. By then the entire lower end was pure Mercury and almost all of the power head was too. Merc dealers service them, I've been happy with mine. But yeah, resale sucks compared to other names.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Thinking about fuel tank options, I unscrewed the plywood deck piece in the console. Two words came to mind... "awe s#$%". Wet foam and very rotted wood! Looks like the deck is one molded sheet of fiberglass over plywood over wooden supports and foam. Joy of joys! I guess to the drydock I go!2013-02-12_19-06-22_758.jpg

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Resale is well poop on Force engines. Performance won't be a problem but overpaying will. As long as you go into it knowing this, may the Force be with you.

Congrats on achieving the much coveted 3 boat status. Tinhoarder badge should be in the mail soon. Walleyes on the St. Clair River anyone?

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Re: My fleet grew by another Tinny.. Mirrocraft center console restp

Re: My fleet grew by another Tinny.. Mirrocraft center console restp

Mods, could you move this thread to the boat restoration section? As this is going to be a largish resto project, I suspect that is the proper forum for it.

After I noticed the wet foam, I got out a large drill bit and drilled two holes down into the foam to see if/how much of it was wet. In the middle of the console area, there is a very rotten piece of wood running horizontally. Behind this, I drilled down about 7" and the foam was all dry. Forward of it however, I encountered ice about 1/2" down.. no wonder it felt amazingly bow heavy! I got the console disconected and the wiring removed. Next step will be figuring out how the best way of removing the 1 piece fiberglass deck will be. Does not look to bad except that it runs up the the bow live well... no way to remove it short of cutting around the well. I'm feeling the itching starting already!