Mercury efi and johnson pre 2004 outboard feedback

N1NE1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello, I sold my boat to get a CC and I'm searching for a new boat 00-06' range . I'm running into alot of 00-04 Mercury and Johnson motors. I dont know much about Mercury since I've always been a Johnson/Evinrude guy. Any feedback on them would be nice. Same goes for the non-ficht 03-04' Johnson motors. I've always skipped over both these motors but the majority of boats im looking at have them. I read about alot of people having to replace Mercury powerheads, is this true? Or should I stick with a yamaha/suzuki/honda. HP range im interested in is 115-200. (no more carbs,f/i or 4 stroke only)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Mercury efi and johnson pre 2004 outboard feedback

Personally I would avoid FICHT motors........ E-Tec technology is far better and more reliable which started in 03

I have heard the older FI Suzukis are under rated and perform well.......Merc Optimax is good too......

I would visit local shops and talk with the mechanics for their opinion and purchase something you can get serviced locally. Some of the older 4 stroke Mercs were silently recalled and replaced when/if they "grenaded" because they really were not Mercs at all ;)

82rude

Rear Admiral

also johnson 4 stroke motors were suzuki around that era.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Yep, my '03 Johnson 4 stroke EFI has a Suzuki powerhead and a BRP drive.....