pulling plug wires

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I have a 4.3L MC and the plug wires are pretty difficult to get to in order to remove the plug wires. I have searched for plug wire pullers and any of them for marine have a ground wire on it and cost over $35. Is it really necessary to ground the tool if you remove the neg battery cable? If it is not necessary I can get a plug wire tool for under 10 bucks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: pulling plug wires

The reason for the ground wire on those tools is for pulling the plug wires when the engine is running, keeps you from getting zapped.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

What I do is just make sure the engine compartment is thoroughly ventilated to remove any explosive fumes before working and use standard automotive tools..... no wires for me

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

are we talking about pulling the wires off when the engine is running? like cylinder drop test? or just removing them?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

since he said he would remove the negative battery cable then I'd say that the engine would not be running

Bondo

Staff member

Yes... engine not running so I can change the plugs.

Ayuh,... Just reach down under, 'n give 'em a slight Twist as yer pullin', 'n they oughta come right off....

Yankin' on 'em with pliers just rips 'em up...

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Ya that'n it's kinda hard to change a plug with the motor running ...