hardened exhaust seats

MBAKER

Petty Officer 1st Class
On a SBC marine engine, do the exhaust valves need to have hardened seat inserts? Or are the induction hardened integral seats sufficient. I find some literature saying the marine/industrial heads do have inserts in them, but in other places saying its not necessary. If you are just using the engine for typical cruising and not running WOT for extended periods would they be required.

If I understand right GM powertrain sells vortec engines for marine and industrial use, I could see in an industrial setting where they might be required because the engines might be runing near torque peak, under load for 8, 10, 12+ hours continuus, possibly even on propane or NG which would be harder yet. Even though a boat loads an engine down more than a car or truck, its still not the same as an industrial platform. I wonder if they assemble the same engine and just sell the same industrial type engine to different parties.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: hardened exhaust seats

On a SBC marine engine, do the exhaust valves need to have hardened seat inserts? Or are the induction hardened integral seats sufficient. I find some literature saying the marine/industrial heads do have inserts in them, but in other places saying its not necessary. If you are just using the engine for typical cruising and not running WOT for extended periods would they be required.

If I understand right GM powertrain sells vortec engines for marine and industrial use, I could see in an industrial setting where they might be required because the engines might be runing near torque peak, under load for 8, 10, 12+ hours continuus, possibly even on propane or NG which would be harder yet. Even though a boat loads an engine down more than a car or truck, its still not the same as an industrial platform. I wonder if they assemble the same engine and just sell the same industrial type engine to different parties.

Ayuh,.... If yer talkin' Vortec heads, the 906 castin's usually have seat inserts,...

The 062s have the induction hardened seats...

either will work, Just Fine, on a boat motor....

MBAKER

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, that helps my decision. Im sure the inserts prob dont hurt, but if they arent necessary then I wont worry about them. I can buy brand new vortec heads assembled for only slighly more than rebuilding a set of cores, with who knows how many hours/miles and heat cycles on them.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I can buy brand new vortec heads assembled for only slighly more than rebuilding a set of cores, with who knows how many hours/miles and heat cycles on them.

Yep, price of new is cheap enough...
Just a note though, heat cycles are not a bad thing. Theoretically it can strengthen the part. I remember reading somewhere that Chrysler preferred using "seasoned blocks" for crate engines because of that.

MBAKER

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, thats true..and any 'settlling' of a new block/head casting has already taken place. I was thinking more like 'over' heat cycles along those lines and not really knowing what they had been through. And by the time you put new valves in and springs etc, and given the fact the vortec heads seem to be crack prone anyway buying new seems to make more sense.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Yeah, thats true..and any 'settlling' of a new block/head casting has already taken place. I was thinking more like 'over' heat cycles along those lines and not really knowing what they had been through. And by the time you put new valves in and springs etc, and given the fact the vortec heads seem to be crack prone anyway buying new seems to make more sense.

Gotcha...;)