1985 Evinrude 15hp Quits running after 10 seconds

barfly5432

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks in advance. Here I go again. Bought engine yesterday and of course it was supposed to run perfectly. hooked up to battery and same thing every time. runs about 10 seconds. seems to rev to high and then dies. I can repeat a few times but eventually flood her I think. I took off old fuel pump and replaced with one from a older johnson, same problem.

kbait

Commander
Re: 1985 Evinrude 15hp Quits running after 10 seconds

Also... for anyone reading this.. If you are purchasing a used 'running' motor - before you hand over the cash, HEAR IT RUN on muffs or in a barrel. If seller can't/won't do this, you may well be looking at a bunch of costly repairs to actually get it running, and your offer should be in the 'parts-motor' range.
I've fixed many, freshly purchased, RUNNING motors (for customers) that obviously hadn't been run for many years... cracked up coils, globby-looking jelly in carb, cracked/split fuel lines, etc. Many of these poor folks have tried to return the 'running motor' to the seller for a refund, only to hear 'a deal's a deal'. So, be smart out there!

barfly5432

Seaman Apprentice

thanks. Leroy is the man.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Since you changed the fuel pump, we can rule that out. That leaves your fuel hose, fuel tank, carbureator inlet valve and/or possible air leaks. The first check to determine the above is when it starts to die, squeeze the primer bulb and see if it revives it for another 10 seconds. If it does, then one of the above is the problem. If not, let us know and we will scratch our heads a little more. To identify the culprit if it is a fuel delivery issue, open the cap on the fuel tank to ensure venting. If you have another fuel hose, try that, and of course look for any area of air leaks, usually at the connections. If none of those work, it is time to take the carb apart and find out why your inlet valve is sticking or not working.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Agreed. You are burning off the prime--I wonder if the second pump is the problem still. But it can be anything along the way, including a bad bulb. Try running off another tank with another hose.

to get at it from the other end, you can fill a spray bottle with mixed gas, and spray it in the carbs to see if it revives it when it starts dying. If not it may be electrical (but to me not as likely since it started).