mooring cover re-inforcement

mr geets

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have been quoted $1,500 to $1,800 for a travel cover for my 21 foot pontoon boat. The past summer I used the mooring cover in ignorance while towing. After the 3rd or 4th trip and the education on the cost of an actual travel tarp I knowingly continued and reduced my speed to 50 miles an hour. Maximum trip was 150 miles one way. Aside from wear at the front where the trailer stops are (vertical bars at steps and winch location) I had no noticeable damage although in my mirrors the cover from the front rail down to the front deck edge was distorted badly at speed as was the first pole to the front rail

Now I have a 500 mile trip one way coming up and am wondering about any way to save the mooring tarp from wear. I got 3 super clamp type tarp straps to hold the leading edge of the tarp in place by hooking the straps to the underside of the deck. It really helps.

Any ideas appreciated.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: mooring cover re-inforcement

Any possibility of towing without a cover ???

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Yes their is one sure fire way, take it off. I never tow with my cover on.

mr geets

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for that idea. My friends have said the same. Any other ideas?

Thanks

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Welcome aboard. Who gave you the quote; upholsterer or dealer/manufacturer? What kind of cover were they quoting; snap on? What brand is your barge and how old?

bennyboy1

Cadet

Yes their is one sure fire way, take it off. I never tow with my cover on.

I never tow with cover on either.

mr geets,
for that 500 mile trip, replace your cover with a poly tarp that will cover the just the front of the boat, like a bra... tie off (no bungies) tight and secure. This will keep the road grime/bugs off until to reach your destination. Stow anything that may blow out, (I even snap off my windshield and put it away). Tow with engine all the way down, or use a transom saver.
also, ALWAYS use transom straps.

have a safe trip. :encouragement:

Jeep Man

Commander

Check this out Mr Geets. The dealer where I picked up my toon gave me a "shipping" cover while I awaited on the arrival of my mooring cover. These are covers supplied by the mfg. for transporting the boats to the dealer. The dealer usually throws them away. Mine was surprisingly well constructed with felt on the rub areas. I used it to cover my old toon for the winter as I hadn't planned to sell it till the next season. Check with local dealers for one that will fit. It would easily survive a 500 mile journey.