distributor problem

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I went to check the distributor cap and rotor on my 1987 Mercruiser 4.3 today and had a problem. After loosening the 4 screws the cap would not budge. All the screws were loosened to the point that the threads were coming out of the cap. Is there any special trick to getting the cap off? Smacking it with a hammer is out. :joyous:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: distributor problem

Ayuh,.... Just tap on it abit,.... Maybe somebody glued it down,... It should come right off...

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

Ayuh,.... Just tap on it abit,.... Maybe somebody glued it down,... It should come right off...

Any car cap has always come off easily and I have changed my share of them. I hope some crazy PO didn't really glue it to last forever. I will tap it around the base and hope it finally loosens.

Bondo

Staff member

Any car cap has always come off easily and I have changed my share of them. I hope some crazy PO didn't really glue it to last forever. I will tap it around the base and hope it finally loosens.

Ayuh,... If it Don't,.... Bust it off, 'n get a new 1....'n a rotor....

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

Ayuh,... If it Don't,.... Bust it off, 'n get a new 1....'n a rotor....
That was my second choice. Might as well get a new cap and rotor and that old cap WILL come off!! Anyone got some dynamite? lol

achris

More fish than mountain goat

There is a gasket between the cap and the housing. They do get sticky. Make sure you put a new one in. Part # 27-98242

Chris.....

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

There is a gasket between the cap and the housing. They do get sticky. Make sure you put a new one in. Part # 27-98242

Chris.....

Thanks Chris... that makes sense since the cap won't even budge.