Canvas repair, reconditioning or replacement.

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is there a good way to recondition an old (circa 1979) canvas cockpit cover? The one I have on my boat is still completely functional, but it feels weak and "crispy" from UV-light damage and is missing a snap button or two. I'm afraid it won't last the summer unless I do something. This cover fits the boat perfectly. If I were to replace it with a new cover where would I find one that fits perfectly?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Canvas repair, reconditioning or replacement.

nope it's 20 years past it's expected life span... it's a pattern now

you would contact a local canvas / upholstery shop and they would make you a new one from scratch

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

Any idea what that might cost?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

based on your description of the boat... $200 -$20,000

a few details could narrow that down a bit ;)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Check in the phone book and look for a business that makes awnings. The awnings are normally sunbrella and same material as a boat cover...... since this is the "off season" for awnings you might get a deal and if you supply the pattern ;)

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, I'll do that. The boat is a 20 foot cuddy cabin, a Tiara 2000 Overniter.

agallant80

Commander

I am about to make my own this weekend. I will let you know how it goes.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Look at local upholstery shops instead of awning shops. They are more prone to doing custom work than an awning shop would be. A typical complete mooring snap-in canvas runs about $800.

Shabah 182

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ditto on 800, that is what mine cost from a custom shop. Very high quality and trailerable cockpit cove.

bassman284

Commander

Look at local upholstery shops instead of awning shops. They are more prone to doing custom work than an awning shop would be. A typical complete mooring snap-in canvas runs about $800.

Don't know what you have there, but I had my cover made a Clemens Canvas in Cedar Rapids. They do a great job on custom boat covers as well as awnings, car covers or what have you. Best thing is if you can see some of the work they've already done.