Trailer guide-on post question

mrmamiller

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am getting a used boat/trailer and the boat's beam is 80", but the trailer is built to accommodate a boat with a much wider beam. The PVC post guide-ons can not be adjusted any closer than several inches from the hull. I would like the posts to be no more than an inch from the hull. The metal part of the guide-on that attaches to the trailer is curved, and to get the adjustment right, I would be trying to clamp on the curved part, which obviously wouldn't work. Has anyone encountered this and have a cure? I have looked all over online and haven't found a suitable solution. I DID see a trailer once that had the PVC posts curved back inward, and I'm guessing that they had to be specially molded to that shape. I've been looking for specialty posts but find nothing. Thanks for your help, Mark

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Trailer guide-on post question

Ayuh,.... Got any Pictures,..??

mrmamiller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No pics, haven't pickup up boat yet...maybe within a week. Just starting to get my ducks in a row.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... With the Info available it's kinda hard to formulate a work-around....

Do ya do any Weldin',..??
Or are yer only options to bolt something on,..??

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

....a couple of 45 degree elbows, back-to-back, joined by a close section of PVC on each side of the trailer would allow a degree of adjustability before permanently glueing.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Keep this in mind...... Your boat FAR outweighs the pvc guide-ons and they will bend or break in a minute. They are actually a target to guide you and the boat onto the trailer.

There are stiffer roll on guide ons that are made to hold the weight or go with a set of guide boards to help load the boat.

I built these (Post # 167) and they work great http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...project-begins-splashed-7-15-10-a-329927.html

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Were talking a couple inches here.... just bend the steel slightly... done deal.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You are either custom building, or buying the one below.

I have looked for years, and this is the only one I have found.
Used to be available from Shoreland'r trailer dealers.

The only place I can find them now is Cabelas, $140.

s7_018238_001_01

tpenfield

Staff member

You could just do without guide-ons . . . If the boat has a decent V-hull, it will be self-centering for the most part.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

I used these on my trailer. They are from Tiedown Engineering. Maybe the bracket could be bent like smokeonthewater said. I have seen them welded to the trailer, at an angle, to accommodate the type of frame.
P6240112.jpgP6240111.jpg

mrmamiller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the suggestions. I am on saltwater so steel is out, unless galvanized. Also, there may be significant cross current (tides), meaning I need something to stop the boat (but not with much force at all). Today I saw another option which is the Fulton guide on, which is PVC thru the entire bend, and it clamps to a crossmember, rather than a side rail. That would give me much greater adjustability. I'll see when I get the trailer dimensions and see what works. Thanks for the input, Mark

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Photo of current situation will get you more accurate advice. I have similar but not same guides as Brownskull 2 posts above. Will post photo if you want me to and I will dig one out. Let me know.

RyanSS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just built a set for my bowrider. Used 1 3/8" galvanized chain-link fence posts to a 90 degree elbow and secured to the frame with 2 u-bolts on each side. Slid 1.5" PVC pipe over the posts, glued a cap on each one and drilled a hole through the PVC/metal and ran stainless steel bolts through it to keep the PVC from floating off the poles. Total cost from Home Depot: $30

Mine are approx 50" tall.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Here's a few photos of our guides.

DSC04251.jpgDSC04252.jpgDSC04255.jpg