Capacity question

Maxtork

Cadet
Hi All,

I have been restoring an old Bayliner Capri 1750 outboard and I'm getting close to finshing it up. My problem is that there was no capacity plate when I bought the boat. It was registered as a 1986 and the guy I bought it from said it was a 1750 which would make it 17.5 ft based on conventional wisdom. I tried to look on the internet to see if I could find the specs on it but I can't see anywhere that Bayliner made a 1750 in 1986. I looked at the old registration and it shows 18 ft 6 inches in length but not sure if that is overall length or what. So I figured I would try to look up the HIN number and see what that turned up. Of course the only place I could find to do that cost $30 bucks and I'm not even sure it will show me the details I need. Can anyone tell me where to research this or how to decifer the HIN to find out exactly what I have and the motor and persons capacity for this vessel?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Max

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Capacity question

The first 3 characters will confirm the manufacturer, if there's any doubt. The last 2 digits tell you year of manufacture. You can use google to research Bayliner boats of that year. I'll bet they made a '180' or '1800' or '185' or '1850', but it shouldn't be hard to figure out.

You can also post at 'baylinerownersclub.org' or call/e-mail Bayliner customer service to see what they can tell you.

My .02

Maxtork

Cadet

Thanks JoLin,
That confirms it is a Bayliner and it is a 1986. As per the Iboats information there was an 1800 Capri which was 17.83 ft long which sounds like it fits the bill. It says the max Hp is 125 which is good as I have a 115 on it. Now I just have to figure out the max passengers. I will try the owners group and see what I can find.

Thanks
Max

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

For what it's worth, our 2007 175 was essentially the same boat but with the 135 merc four-banger, and it's capacity was 7. Don't tell anyone, but I had 8 in it a couple of times when shuttling family out to the houseboat, and while it was crowded, it didn't seem the least bit overloaded while driving it. Since the outboard weighs less than the I/O in ours, you'd probably safe with 8 on board...

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most of the 80's era 17 to 18 footers were max of 7 people. Weight was 1300 to 1600.