2001 Evinrude/Ficht 150

Howdy!

I am looking at a 2001 Evinrude/Ficht 150 and I know this much:

"Motor was running good when removed from boat."

That, and the seller wants $1500 which I can probably get him to reduce. My point however is I just sold a 2001 Johnson 70HP for $1800 and the guy was thrilled!! So, the deal is I have heard some really bad about Evinrude/Ficht stories and some really good things about Evinrude/Ficht. With that, who knows?

My thoughts... have a marine mechanic check it. It's 12 years old and if was going to blow it would have. Hearing all the press, should I even bother?

Thanks!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2001 Evinrude/Ficht 150

Compression test it and get the controls and system check guages......use DI oil only and run it till it pops.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

What is the complete model number on the motor's serial number tag? Very often it is not the year that the owner claims it is, plus it makes a difference in value, though a 2001 or earlier FICHT has no real value in the marketplace, no matter what the "blue books" say it has.

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you do a little research and find out if this model has had all the service bullitens done. Maybe even a new powerhead, the engine could be worth something to you. Bear in mind that in those years 99 to 01, OMC was going through bankruptsy and put out some crap, although many of the issues have been addressed. Maybe even talk the guy down a little :)

The owner says the model # is E150FSLSIF and I know about the issues from the boards which is why I am leery. Of course, a mechanic would check before hand, and the owner said it's on a stand so it can be checked. Good idea about the service bulletins and of course, it should be able to provide a computer read. That said, $1500 for something this size and year is really low (of course I would offer lower) and you know what they say...too good to be true...

Thanks for all the advice and tips.

Steve