4.3 engine water pump?

Late last season I noticed my engine water pump was dripping some water from the weep hole, behind the pulley. I decided to put it off until spring to fix it, and spring is almost here :D.

My question is they a difference between a marine water pump and a regular automotive water pump? I can get a regular 4.3/5.7 water pump for cheap, but looks like the marine pumps are quite a bit higher. Not trying to be a tight wad, but hate to spend double the money if they's no difference. Thanks.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 4.3 engine water pump?

Yes there is a difference with some of the parts being of a better grade than what is used in auto applications and is very important if you boat in salt water.

If your engine is fresh water cooled and you boat in fresh water, then you might consider the cheaper pump but since these normally last several years, I would recommend using the OEM pump.

Mark

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

The auto circulating pump has a little tin pinwheel that is just stamped steel and it will rust unless in antifreeze with corrosion inhibitors. The marine one has a heavy brass impeller that will not corrode to any serious degree and will deal better with sand and mud.

The auto circulating pump has a little tin pinwheel that is just stamped steel and it will rust unless in antifreeze with corrosion inhibitors. The marine one has a heavy brass impeller that will not corrode to any serious degree and will deal better with sand and mud.

Thanks! I can see where the brass would last much longer. Guess I'll just get the marine one then.