looking for suggestions on a jon boat

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
i have a old outboard 6hp, i am looking for a jon boat, i want to go shallower places my big boat won't. the shaft is 17" i measured as it looked shorter than my 20 but longer that the 15, maybe an oliver thing:confused: me, the wife, this motor and 3 gallons of gas, would be around 500 pounds. i saw a 12' flat bottom with a tag rating it at 260 or 380 with motor and gear and max 5hp, so i know this is too small, most boats i look at do not state capacity in the ad. what am i looking for? does a v sit lower than a flat? i would like the smallest craft to suit my needs. i am partial to v's for the smooth ride but if flat woud be better on the creek?

airshot

Rear Admiral
Re: looking for suggestions on a jon boat

Bigger 12' jon boats are out there but harder to find as everyone wants them. A number of years back I owned one that was a full 48" wide and 17" deep and had a 9.9 hp rating. Max load capacity was 500 lbs. When I sold it, there were a line of people waiting to see it but the first guy bought it. If you are looking new, Bass pro and Cabela's have a similiar model in their "deluxe" jon boats and yes they are more expensive..... In a backwater creek the jon will be excellent but if you will be getting into waves the "V" bottom would be better. I could stand up in my big jon boat without fear of tipping over, was a great boat for small rivers. Now I boat lake Erie out of Toledo Ohio in a 22'....but still aluminium hull.

Airshot

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Jump up to 14' and you will have countless options to choose from.

64osby

Admiral

My 14' V has a capacity of 765lbs, my old 12' V was 550lbs. That 200 lbs makes a huge difference.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

i can't afford new:eek:, i can't even afford nice:facepalm: i will be picking the bottom of the barrel as i am handy and thrifty, not wealthy:D it may take months but i will find something for a couple hundred bucks

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer

I would look for at least 14' . Bigger capacity. Still gets into shallow water. Your OB will still drive it well. And if the weather kicks up you will thank God for a bigger boat. But still light enough for two people to pick up. Lots of them available used.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

They are tons of cheap used aluminum boats in my area - make sure it has a title!

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

yes i have seen lots with no title, i may contact the dmv and see if i could get one with a notorized bill of sale, not sure of the law in WV regarding private pond boats that were never registered

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

My 12 foot is rated for 550lbs it fits in the back of truck i can unload /load myself . Last 10years I ran old 5 hp johnson seahorse now it has newer 4.5 hp johnson. Can't leave in sight in yard without someone wanting to buy it . Last time at scrap yard they had a few that didn't look that bad to be scraping so aluminium must outprice used sale price . You can always find old ones along river homesteads that they haven't used for years that they might come off of . Old johnson didn't have reverse but wasen't problem and never sheared pin with prop strikes probaly because of prop design . Cruising a shallow river with no one in sight is relaxing and kids /dog can get out where ever we stop to riverstomp for treasures.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

looking at this Boat, motor, trailer has capacity at 515, has a sea king, clinton made i believe. i may go get it this weekend, its a couple hours away.

64osby

Admiral

The MW motor looks like an Clinton to me. Single cylinder runs rough compared to other small twin cylinder motors. Neutral and forward gears only.

I picked up two of those motors for $35.00. Got one running real nice and sold it and the other melted down on a test run.

Compared to a 5.5 or 7.5 Gale or a JohnyRude is it junk IMHO

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That's too much money for that. The motor has essentially no value and that trailer doesn't look good either. I certainly wouldn't drive all the way up here for it! (coincidentally I'm about 10 minutes away from that boat right now). Keep watching. Couple years ago, at about this time of year, my dad picked up a real nice 14' aluminum Alumacraft (Sears branded) on a newer galvanized trailer and a 5HP Merc for $600. The Merc was a not-that-great single cylinder model but we got $150-$200 or so out of it when we sold it.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

flat is more stable, so go for the traditional square bow jon. on a boat that small the bow shape won't make that much difference on the ride.
A 12' jon is a good one man boat, not for two. get a 14, put your 6 on it and keep an eye out for a 9-15 hp down the line.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

i think you guys are right, i will keep shopping, don't need the motor or trailer, i have a oliver built wizard 5.5 to put on it, and a pickup truck to haul it, when i find what i'm looking for, have seen a few deals with no title. i didn't want to go there but i may talk to some one about boats kept on private ponds or without motors that were never titled. there has to be a way, in a state that registation is not needed on an unpowered boat, to get it registered if i bolt on a motor then it's needed:confused:

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

flat is more stable, so go for the traditional square bow jon. on a boat that small the bow shape won't make that much difference on the ride.
A 12' jon is a good one man boat, not for two. get a 14, put your 6 on it and keep an eye out for a 9-15 hp down the line.

i want the boat for the wizard motor:D i'm fixing the motor and want to use it. allready have a 9.9 rude thats upgraded to 15. dont need to go fast, i want to explore some smaller creeks.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

i would go with a square back canoe but the wife allmost died in a canoe accident years ago and now has a phobia