My Jupiter rebuild

AJGeorge

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First let me start with a little intro. My name is George and I have lurked here for years. I found the site when looking up info on a little 14' Lowe jon boat that i bought . Shortlly after that I found this Jupiter for sale and returned here and have followed most of your rebuilds but just got mine running and out a few times but did not really know what i wanted to do with her. For awhile I wanted to sell her and get a SS. Then Jas's open bow conversion got me going in that direction, but couldn't quite bring myself to put her under the knife. I mostly fish the small mountain lakes in Arizona here and the Jup did not really fit into that. But after a fishing trip to Colorado with my brother to Blue Mesa res. for kokanee, i have a mission for her. We are making this a annual trip and i have to have this ready to go by late May. This week i got her into the garage and started pulling the decking. the few times I had this out she did not leak a drop and the foam was all dry with no water logging. i trashed alot of it tho that was brittle or crumbly. The PO had replaced the deck and it is good so I will reuse and use either noodles or sheet insul. board for flotation. The transom appears good and when I bought it I had to install the 50hp Johnson. I need to remove the engine so I can flip it and paint. Hope to pressure wash and remove engine this weekend. Thanks for listening and for any help. Hopefully the pics load and I can join the fun.

Attachments

• 100_0857.jpg
    100_0857.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 100_0957.jpg
    100_0957.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 100_0842.jpg
    100_0842.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 4

dozerII

Admiral
Re: My Jupiter rebuild

Welcome George,:welcome: Great Jup you have there, don't be afraid to ask questions, great bunch of guys around here to help out.\.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the Tinhouse, AJ. Do you know what year your Jup is? She looks like a older model. Well, all Jupiters are older models, I should have said "early" model judging by the windshield.

Keep the pics coming during the re-do. We love pics. And have fun! :D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey George, as an 08 member of iboats, yur a veteran man!

Good luck and have fun with your project:joyous:

64osby

Admiral

Hey George, as an 08 member of iboats, yur a veteran man!

Good luck and have fun with your project:joyous:

Pretty vocal at 2 posts a year too.:D

Looks like a great boat. Good luck on the re foam. Will this be vinyl, carpet or other?

AJGeorge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the welcome and yes Dozer I will have some questions, probably even tonight. GA the registration says she is a 67 model which i believe is correct as the brochures showed the Jupiter that year as having a coffee colored top sides like i have found under the existing paint. Jas I don't feel like a veteran here but I have followed you guys along time. I always wanted to start a thread " How long have you lurked here." Anyway progress for today I decided to better replace the transom so worked on getting that out. Got the engine off and then you know alot of nuts and bolts and those spashwell screws. All that are left are the 4 bolts on each side but the nuts on the inside are between the spashwell and sides. Thats not much room to get in there or does the spashwell have to come out? that little operation worries me a little. One more question, the knee brace was thru bolted thru the transom. Is that the factory way or were they maybe lag bolted in? Any help would be appreciated. A few pics of todays progress. Yea i like OMC's outboards are the way to go. Incidently this was repowered at one time with twin somethings by the clamp marks on the transom. That had to look cool I think.

Attachments

• 100_0960.jpg
    100_0960.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 100_0974.jpg
    100_0974.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 100_0977.jpg
    100_0977.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 100_0975.jpg
    100_0975.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 3

AJGeorge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well 64 not sure on the deck yet. It had green astroturf and a porta-potty in it when I bought it. I can tell you thats not going back in. Under that the deck was painted with what looks like standard red porch and deck paint.100_0744.jpg

GA_Boater

Going to the Tin Drydock will get your post count up. LOL

The stern shots shows the V hull, which started in '65 I think. Your windshield is from an earlier year but they get changed a lot because the plexi gets cloudy or broken. The '67 had a vent in the lower center of the windshield.

Bolts thru the transom. I used a cordless drill with a flat bit and backed those screws right out. Didn't even need a wrench on the inside. When I put them back in I was able to reach under the splashwell to start the nuts and used a box-end while tightened with the drill. The wrench spun until it hit something and the bolts were drawn tight. I think that made sense.

The knee brace is bolted through the transom. NO lag bolts, just stainless screws, nuts and washers.

It looks like your side panels are missing. The brochure here page 17 has a good interior shot of a '67 Jup. It has a line drawing of the Concave V and shows the W/S too.

GA_Boater

A couple more things, AJ. Do you still have the cable and pulley steering? I saw a tension spring on the port side of the transom.

Was that a piece of 1/2" ply for the transom plate. Way over kill. Some folks are using some aluminum sheet.

And finally, it looks like you could hang five motors on the back looking at your shop. LOL.

wheeldriver

Seaman

Keep the momentum going George, May will be here in no time. I very much enjoyed the photo you posted of the Jupiter beached. Looks like goodtimes!

Com'on Summer

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Looks like a nice Jupiter to start off with, you should have a good time with it. I like your collection of outboards too!

fireguy co

Cadet

Well 64 not sure on the deck yet. It had green astroturf and a porta-potty in it when I bought it. I can tell you thats not going back in. Under that the deck was painted with what looks like standard red porch and deck paint.View attachment 181433

Nice a comode ations there. Sure you don't want to reconsider? You know the coffee thing and all. lol

64osby

Admiral

Put a new cushion top and a back rest and that would make one nice capt's chair.:nod:

That nice astro turf looks as nice as the orange shag that was in the basement when I bought my house.

GA_Boater

More like a throne, 64. :laugh:

AJ, It's best to ignore us at times. :eek:

AJGeorge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey guys how can I ignore ya. I like a little fun to and all the remarks about the throne, captians chair, and comodedations are fun. It really makes ya wonder what people are thinking when they put a boat out for sale with that kinda stuff in it. oh well it all bargaining power for us bottom feeders. As for the boat no progress today had to work and then spend the evening with the GF as it was her birthday. I really wanted to get back on the transom pull. GA thanks for the tip on the bolts and info on the knee brace. It did have the cable and pulley steering system but no cable when I brought it home. The steering wheel had the grooved pulley on it but was kind of a rusted mess..It did not come out easy. When I put in the teleflex steering I did not have the 20degree bezel so I cut the shelf behind the wheel, man I really regret that now. Bonehead move for sure. Well everybody take care and have good evening.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice boat! Looks just like my '66. They're surprisingly stable for their size and good for fishing if the presence of the bow deck doesn't bother you. I did not have to remove my splashwell to replace the transom. Link into my signature to some pics of my restore. Maybe you can grab some ideas from there.

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Good looking rig! I'll be lurking in the shallows watchin the progress! Smooth Waters!

GA_Boater

When I put in the teleflex steering I did not have the 20degree bezel so I cut the shelf behind the wheel, man I really regret that now. Bonehead move for sure.

It's the learning process, AJ. Too bad you didn't ask. We all have some regrets about some things we did. :embarassed: We all learn better ways. :)

AJGeorge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I got a little more done on her this morning, actually yesterday morning as I type this. The transom cap came off easy and in nice shape and the starboard corner cap was a simple removal also. The port side corner cap is nonexistant but I have a pair coming from MichaelP. Now the thing is at least from looking under the cap the transom doesn't look too bad other than all the mounting holes but I have gone this far its coming out anyway. The only bad looking spots were where the port side cap was gone. even looking thru the holes it looks pretty good. If it come out ok it will be a good template if anyone will need one for a 16'. At that point I had to leave for work so tomorrow morning I willtry to get those last remaining bolts out. EZ I will revisit your thread and try to pick something helpful there. Thanks to everyone for following this.
100_0980.jpg100_0981.jpg100_0984.jpg100_0986.jpg