Thinking of buying a pontoon ... need advice

jenandjon

Recruit
So we've been looking and thinking and budgeting and saving, etc. etc. etc.

Family of 5 kids are 12, 9 and 4. This would be our first boat purchase. We knocked around the idea of a deck boat for a bit on the notion of being able to ski easier. Then we decided that we're not going the ski that much. So... looking at pontoons, maybe tritoon. Need help on the pros/cons of pontoon vs. tritoon.

Here's some background. Lake use - NC and surrounding area; no salt water; need a party boat we can drink, eat, lounge, cruise, fish, tube, drink, lounge, cruise.... you feel me. Hubby wants something with enough zip to it to make it fun and not just some crappy rent a pontoon engine. I feel the same way. Boat would need to seat at least 10, 12-14 would be nice but not necessary. Also, when it says 10 and you've got 5 little kids, can you get away with going more by the total weight?

We know we are making an investment so we want something that we can get some good use out of, durability, quality, well-built, sturdy toon. All the bells and whistles not necessary. Comfortable seating would be good. Want a decent captain's set-up.

Couple of questions - pontoon vs. tritoon? lake can get busy at times; motor size - thinking 115, but is it worth it to go to 150? what are the "extras" on your boat that you really enjoy or get the most use out of? thinking 22', but do you think we need 25'?

Going to a boat show and here are some of the brands that we were going to take a look at --- pros/cons on each ...

Berkshire, Bennington, Tahoe, South Bay, Aqua Patio, Sweetwater, XCursion, Avalon, Manitou ... if your boat brand is listed, why do you like it? specifics... not "it just rocks" ... LOL.

Sorry to ramble but in other posts I've read you guys wanted to know some background before giving advice so I tried to be pretty all inclusive. Thanks.

The Rooster

Ensign
Re: Thinking of buying a pontoon ... need advice

Welcome to the forum, Jen. Thats quite a list of wants you have there. I noticed you mentioned "drinking" twice in your description, That would be iced tea right? :D
Since you stated you have a "zippy" husband, I'd definetly recommend you step up to a 22' w/ 150 hp triple tube barge. With an average load you're looking at approx. 35-39 mph for speed. If more zip is required, more hp is required. If you really think 10 - 14 people on board often, you need to consider 24-26' barges. Triple tube barges will always handle rougher waters better. They ride higher. Triple tube barges will be required for "zippy" performance and water skiing, but not tubing. All the brands you have listed are well built reputable brands that should last as long as you want w/ minimal maint. Bennington, and perhaps Manitou will give better resale down the road. Berkshire, XCursion & Southbay are basically the same company.
A changing room, BBQ pit, good stereo, and bimini top/tops, are must haves for options. Speed/Depth finder also nice to have. Get thg layout and colors you really want. Others will chime in shortly. Best of luck, shopping is the fun part!!!

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to "Toon Time" Our Sun Tracker is our 5th boat, first pontoon. We have a lot less seating requirements so we went for an 18' and optioned the largest engine the transom would hold, 75hp. I can get 24mph with 6 adults on board. If I had it to do over I'd have dropped the bucks, bought a Tri and gone for at least 150hp. It is that "you can go 45mph, but don't have to" With young kids you will want the hp to pull a skier out of the water. Also a BBQ of some sort, 1 or 2 Bimini tops for shade, a HUGE ice chest for beverages (both soft and adult). On the Colorado River we have great satellite reception for the XM radio, and 4g cell service so the iPad and computers work. My daughter-in-law the Realtor sold a house sitting in a cove on the river. A pontoon or Tri is a living room on the water, you can't go wrong! I wish my Tracker would go 75mph like our Avenger did, but you couldn't dance in the V-hull and throw a floating party.

Good Luck, and welcome to the forum!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Welcome aboard J&J. Based on what you've said a barge seems like it would work well for you, but here are some random thoughts. A relatively large number of kids aboard will actually mean you need more space, not less. It's obviously not a question of weight capacity, or even seating capacity per se. You'll just find that the youngsters will be all over the place, so more space will mean they're not so often underfoot and running into other passengers and each other. I know firsthand whereof I speak. If you're regularly expecting ten and some times fourteen a 22 footer won't cut it IMO. Now, someone on here will say a 22 footer can seat thirteen, and that's true. My 21 footer can seat thirteen, but I wouldn't allow more than ten aboard because any more than that would be miserable. As for performance, just for frame of reference my 21 footer has a ninety horse and will do around 25 at WOT with five or six average sized folks aboard, and that's without pulling someone on a tube, which will slow her down to 23 or less depending on wind direction, water conditions, the cosmos, etc. Since you're looking for a little zip and some watersports if it's within your budget you'd probably be better served by a 24 footer with three toons and a bigger engine. As for brands, I can't speak specifically to any you've mentioned except to say they're all well regarded, so if you like one buy it with confidence.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Good advice. Keep in mind the third pontoon really doesn't increase performance as much as it increases capacity. Pontoons like to go straight. If doing alot of carving is something you desire Bennington has several pontoon setups that will increase your performance in those areas (disclaimer...I sell Benningtons). Click on this link to see some possibilities. Check out the twin 32" ellipticals with lifting strakes option. Not terribly expensive but does wonders for performance. Also, get as much motor as the budget allows. I never had anyone come back and say they wished they'd gotten a smaller motor. Don't forget the hydraulic steering if you're getting a larger motor. At the end of a busy day you'll be glad you did.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Most everyone has probably already covered everything....I remember when we were you and dealign with this for the first time. Good luck on your purchase...you will love it.

A few things...

Define "zippy"? How fast do you want to be able to go? You will likely need a 115 or a 150. get the biggest motor you are able to pay for, IMO.

If you are fine going 25 mph and you want 10 people, you will likely need a 22 footer and a 115hp motor at a minumum! A 24 footer and a 150hp will be more ideal. Even with that many people, you will go faster than 30.

We are on our third pontoon and had 40 hp motors on my previous too and often had that many people....just did not go too fast.

Keep in mind, regardless of how small the kids are, you can NEVER have more people on the boat than the legal capcity. The fines are HUGE if you get caught. Also, you can't exceed the weight capcity either.

My current pontoon has a legal capacity of 14, but 17 can fit....we still can only put 14 when underway. My previous toon also had a legal capacity of 14, but you really could not get much more than 10 adults due to the seating arrangments. But, the legal capacity is the ultimate max.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to "Toon Time" Our Sun Tracker is our 5th boat, first pontoon. We have a lot less seating requirements so we went for an 18' and optioned the largest engine the transom would hold, 75hp. I can get 24mph with 6 adults on board. If I had it to do over I'd have dropped the bucks, bought a Tri and gone for at least 150hp. It is that "you can go 45mph, but don't have to" With young kids you will want the hp to pull a skier out of the water. Also a BBQ of some sort, 1 or 2 Bimini tops for shade, a HUGE ice chest for beverages (both soft and adult). On the Colorado River we have great satellite reception for the XM radio, and 4g cell service so the iPad and computers work. My daughter-in-law the Realtor sold a house sitting in a cove on the river. A pontoon or Tri is a living room on the water, you can't go wrong! I wish my Tracker would go 75mph like our Avenger did, but you couldn't dance in the V-hull and throw a floating party.

Good Luck, and welcome to the forum!

We he said!

Malibu Rudder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome aboard!! :) You have found the right site Jen. I highly recommend you read everything you can get your hands on. This forum is extremely helpful. While you will see some differences in opinion and experience, for the most part this forum will be a great boat bible for you. On to your question..... I agree with all the above!!! I have a 26ft (Party barge :))pontoon with a 115. I purchased it 3 years ago and never looked back. I remember the dealership owner telling me a 90hp would be plenty for it but I wanted the 150hp and tritoon. Unfortunately/Fortunately, I fell in love with this design(Wet bar series) and in order to go 150...I needed to add hydraulic steering. They talked me into a 115 and said if I wanted more power on 1st day voyage I could go up to a 150 and steering for 10,000 more. I ultimately stayed with the 115. I am extremely happy with this boat and it is fine for tubing and water fun. It will top out at about 28mph. I will tell you if there was a tritoon with a 150hp on it with the same floor layout I would have purchased that one. As said previously, no one ever complains about too much power. I am not an expert...just a boater who loves to have fun, but in my opinion there is no point in getting the 150 engine unless you have a tritoon and lifting strakes. The biggest downfall of a pontoon is it takes a football field to turn the thing around(not really...but close) especially if you are picking up a skier. In closing, unless you are going to ski a bunch then I would put your extra money in the length(because of kids) and 115 motor. I have not been disappointed in the lack of speed but rather the turning radius in order to get back to my tuber quickly enough. If you want to ski, you will need a bit more power to pop an adult out of the water on one ski(then go 150). I would also recommend vinyl florring vs. carpet if you have kids getting on and off the boat. I have all carpet and wish I had at least a teak wood or vinyl in a small area by the swim ladder. If I had kids....all vinyl or the like. I hope this helps. While I stated some things I would tweak when purchasing again, I still am a very pleased boater...more broke but enjoy every minute on the lake. :)

Malibu Rudder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Additional note Jen.......if you throw the party on the leisure pontoon....guaranteed you will meet people on the lake to take you skiing on their fast boat. Just please be sure you always ski or tube before you party with adult beverages. The grass seems to always be greener on the other side. :) The ski boat owners want to be on your boat and you will want to be in their boat for a little while. In the end...you will find most people surrounding a toon. :)

vergil

Petty Officer 1st Class

why would anyone on this earth have one of those slow logged boats that just kinda slug around on the lake, breaking each wave as a lincoln/or caddy does a rough road we love our pontoon, is money any kind of issue, if so dont be afraid of looking at a used one, my favorite thing about our 64 24fter riveria cruiser is I know every inch of that boat, we pulled it out of a corn field , and tore it down till it was pile of a few cross members, and some alum. logs, then put it back to life, pontoons also make wonderful family projects,