1986 Merc 75 no spark on cyl 3/4. Switchbox?

kevblac

Cadet
Hello guys, Ive got a 1986 Mercury 75hp 4 cyl. that has no spark on the bottom two plugs (plugs 3 and 4). My first guess is the switchbox. I was hoping someone could give me the proper test procedure to follow so that I can be relatively sure before I buy an elecrical part I cant return. Thanks!

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1986 Merc 75 no spark on cyl 3/4. Switchbox?

Swap the red with the red/white and the blue with the blue/white on the switchbox if the spark remains the same it's the switch box if it swaps cyls. it's the stator.

Laddies

Banned

Sorry I didn't see you wanted the complete test.
scan0003.jpg

kevblac

Cadet

Thanks for your quick response! I went out this morning and swapped out the wires, It did not change anything. I will try to locate a switchbox this weekend or maybe monday and see what happens. I will keep you posted. Thanks again!

kevblac

Cadet

Ok guys, I located a switchbox and the engine fired up. However, it would only idle at 2500 rpms. It sounded good, just high idle. I adjusted the idle stop all the way in and got it down to 2000 rpms. Thats the best I could get it. A few days later I decided to purchase a timing light and start the link and sync process. But before I did anything I tried to restart the engine and check to see what it was timed at before I did anything else. Engine would not start. It will however backfire. Sounds like it wants to start but no such luck. Turning over fine, backfires on occasion but wont start. re-checked the high speed needle and its set at 1 3/4 turns out from a light seat on both carbs. It might be worth mentioning that it did run on the 1 and 2 cylinders before I changed the switchbox out. After switchbox changed is when It started but ran at high idle. I dont know if the original owner screwed with the timing to make it run that way not knowing the switchbox was out. he never had it in the water of so he says. I removed the number 1 plug and brought it to TDC and checked the timing mark, its around the 0-3 area. At this point, im not sure what to do next. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks