2003 Yamaha 90HP 2 stroke ??

mrmamiller

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking at a boat in Southwest Florida tomorrow that has a Yami 90 on it. Motor looks clean. Any things I need to know about that could be problematic? We'll do compression check, measure head temps, crack a few bolts to see if they move. Anything else? Thanks for the input. I'll check in the AM, then I'm off. Wish me well. Thanks, Mark

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 2003 Yamaha 90HP 2 stroke ??

I bought a new Yamaha 90C in 1999 and never any problems at all. The main thing is clean, fresh fuel. If you buy it, purchase a manual for that motor and read/study up on how to keep it running at 100%....plan to replace the water pump, thermostat and pressure control valve as soon as possible,so you'll know where you're at on these items....install a fuel/water separator...the 90HP 2 stroke Yamaha is simple, light, strong and nearly bullet-proof. Good Luck!

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

They're great motors--pretty much bulletproof.

On any used motor, you should pay a marine mechanic to checkout the compression and general engine condition. They'd also need to drain the lower unit lube in order to do a pressure/vacuum test--checking out the seals. A set of lower unit seals for this motor would be just over $300 with labor. New lube need to be replaced if the seals are okay.

If you buy the boat, I agree that you need to change the water pump impeller and the thermostat. Also clean, inspect and repack the trailer bearings on day one. You don't want any surprises, and these are not costly maintenance items.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Run it at all RPM ranges on the water for enough time to make sure there is not a overheat or other problem with boat or motor.
Make sure all of the lower unit bolts will come out and that drive shaft is not stuck in power head, you do not want to break bolts or have to cut off shaft just to change water pump.
Popping the stat covers will also show if lots of corrosion or build up inside motor cooling passages and if the bolts will come out

Hope it is a good one