Shuts off when put in gear

schrmit

Cadet
1971 Mercury 65hp Motor

I get it idling but when I put it in gear it shuts off. Once I idled it for a while and tried to put it in gear, it took more than 5 times but I got it to run while in gear. I VERY slowly lowered the throttle and eventually I got it up to max speed. It ran very good at max speed. When It first gets put into gear it does terrible though.

Anyone with ideas to help me figure this out would help a lot... Thanks

mr 88

Commander
Re: Shuts off when put in gear

How long have you owned it and when was the last time the fuel system has been gone over ? It may be as simple as slightly turning out the low speed idle screws or a full blown tune up including timing and link n sync is needed.

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like your idle setting is too low, causing a stall on loading. Try turning out the idle screws 1/4 turn at a time - each. Could also be far more complicated ..keep us posted. What's the motor S/N ?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Idle should be something like 650 in F gear in the water, boat moving; translates to just under 1000 in N. Other problem could be low speed jets set too lean; back them out; little at a time....like 1/8 or so turn. If that's not it you may need more drastic measures including carb kits and a good clean out. A manual helps.

Mark

schrmit

Cadet

How long have you owned it and when was the last time the fuel system has been gone over ? It may be as simple as slightly turning out the low speed idle screws or a full blown tune up including timing and link n sync is needed.

Iv'e owned it for a year. I cleaned the carbs but did not take out the jets. I will do that in the summer.

CrossCurrent50

Seaman Apprentice

Linc and sinc is best. Make sure the idol cam is just touching the carb then adjust the idol by turning the low idle timing for best idol withoult stalling as well as adjusting the mixture screws out evenly for best holeshot.

mr 88

Commander

Did it accelerate okay when you first got it ? Did it just keep getting slower and slower or did it go from good acceleration to bad overnight ?
Iv'e owned it for a year. I cleaned the carbs but did not take out the jets. I will do that in the summer.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Idle mixture is critical to get a decent idle quality.

Idle mixture MUST BE adjusted with the boat IN the water and IN Forward gear, this is MANDATORY to have the correct exhaust back-pressure and the correct load on the motor.

One at a time, adjust each idle mixture screw very S L O W L Y so to give the motor plenty of time to burn off any excess fuel, adjust too 'Best Idle Speed' IN Forward gear.

If the motor idles too fast then use the idle speed (timing) to reset idle speed.

Once at this 'Best Idle Speed' IN Forward gear, the motor needs even more idle fuel mixture to provide the additional fuel necessary for crisp acceleration.

Open each idle mixture screw an additional 2 widths of the screwdriver blade slot in the screw.

Now you are ready to test acceleration, IN Forward gear at an idle, rapidly open the control and accelerate the boat.

ANY bog, lean cough, miss, hesitation, shows the motor needs even more idle fuel, again, open each idle mixture screw just one blade width and repeat acceleration test.

Repeat to perfection.

Done.

If the carbs are not spotlessly clean, take them apart, clean and reassemble using NEW gaskets. Make double sure the float heights are all the same and within the range for your serial #.

schrmit

Cadet

Linc and sinc is best. Make sure the idol cam is just touching the carb then adjust the idol by turning the low idle timing for best idol withoult stalling as well as adjusting the mixture screws out evenly for best holeshot.

Where is the low idle timing adjustment done? On the carb? I thought there was just the air/gas combo...

schrmit

Cadet

This is the same problem that I bought it with

schrmit

Cadet

Idle mixture is critical to get a decent idle quality.

Idle mixture MUST BE adjusted with the boat IN the water and IN Forward gear, this is MANDATORY to have the correct exhaust back-pressure and the correct load on the motor.

One at a time, adjust each idle mixture screw very S L O W L Y so to give the motor plenty of time to burn off any excess fuel, adjust too 'Best Idle Speed' IN Forward gear.

If the motor idles too fast then use the idle speed (timing) to reset idle speed.

Once at this 'Best Idle Speed' IN Forward gear, the motor needs even more idle fuel mixture to provide the additional fuel necessary for crisp acceleration.

Open each idle mixture screw an additional 2 widths of the screwdriver blade slot in the screw.

Now you are ready to test acceleration, IN Forward gear at an idle, rapidly open the control and accelerate the boat.

ANY bog, lean cough, miss, hesitation, shows the motor needs even more idle fuel, again, open each idle mixture screw just one blade width and repeat acceleration test.

Repeat to perfection.

Done.

If the carbs are not spotlessly clean, take them apart, clean and reassemble using NEW gaskets. Make double sure the float heights are all the same and within the range for your serial #.

Wow this sounds like great information thank you!