electrical input concerning my bad primer solenoid

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
so i replaced my primer solenoid today at lunch time..( it was 20 degrees) with a used unit i had from another motor. the manual i have says to check the primer solenoid electrically with an OHM meter. the book says it should read 5.5 ohms.

mine reads 4.2.

I know it isnt the specified reading.,..but the difference is unknown to me...like a battery charging at 12.5 or 13.0 volts...seems to be fine in either case...

and if it is bad...it is a throw away item???

or is it repairable??

the unit was determined to be defective...when I watched the end of the hose that goes from the primer to the manifold while my GF pushed the key in on the ignition, after i have adequately primer the gas bulb.

then when i threw the red lever, gas squirted out of the hose( proving one, it was clogged, and two that the electrical action of the pump didnt operate the primer like it should have.

the new primer works..although if i hold the key in for more than 3 seconds...gas drips out of the red lever...

I guess the "O" ring is bad..... i have two new ones on order...and have seen how to replace them by dissasmbling the one I took out...

( once the top of the primer is removed....you can slide the red shaft outwards and replace the o-ring....but while the top is installed...there is a pin blocking its removale!!

bob

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: electrical input concerning my bad primer solenoid

You ask about the primer solenoid... "if it is bad...it is a throw away item?"

If for sure, you know that the coil windings are bad... throw the body away BUT keep the parts of it that are removable.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

You ask about the primer solenoid... "if it is bad...it is a throw away item?"

If for sure, you know that the coil windings are bad... throw the body away BUT keep the parts of it that are removable.

i would do that, becaus eit does come apart, BUT... I dont know if the coil windings are bad..in the manual( factory) the only "test" is the OHMs check...so it is supposed to read 5.5, and mine reads 4.2

is it bad, or out of spec?

i guess i could just run 12 volts to it and see if it makes any noise..like a pumping sound..

bob

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

I have no experience with this particular solenoid but, sometimes an ohmmeter can be off calibration. Is this a quality meter? You could check its accuracy using a precision resistor. Perhaps a 5 ohm 1% tolerance resistor from an electronics supply house would verify this. - Grandad

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

i would do that, becaus eit does come apart, BUT... I dont know if the coil windings are bad..in the manual( factory) the only "test" is the OHMs check...so it is supposed to read 5.5, and mine reads 4.2 . I guess i could just run 12 volts to it and see if it makes any noise..like a pumping sound..bob

Yes, that's the thing to do.... test it! With 12 volts running to it, that should cause the plunger within it to pull in. If it does, the solenoid is okay although it may require repairs. If the plunger does not pull in, toss it.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

thanks....the meter was a nice Fluke 179 True RMS multimeter.

Joe: i did notice that the rubber gasket on the top portion had sucked down into those two passages that deliver the squirt to the hoses running to the manifolds.

and MIGHT have effectively sealed them off....or restricted them a lot.

will report back in time

bob

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

well the dang thing works.... so i have no idea why it wasnt letting fuel into my manifolds..

the one side i opened the lever and squeezed thegas bulb and gas squirted out the hose that goes to the manifold..so that side was clear.... I didnt check the otjher side....maybe the hose on the port side is clogged...

hmmm..

well the other one is installed now anywa

thanks for your guys help

bob