Clevite cb663p,

hannez82

Cadet
Hi,

I bought Clevite cb663p to my 350 but when I compare the old bearing with the new one they don't look the same. The old one has a cut as pointed out in the picture. The old berings are also cb663p. What is the cut for and why isn't it on the new bearing?vevlager.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Clevite cb663p,

Maybe you have the wrong bearings.

Do you have a Merc serial number for your engine? 350's of various versions have been used over the past 40 some years.

hannez82

Cadet

I don't have the serial tag. I'ts a Mercruiser 350 from -96. Non vortec, flat-tappet cam.

According to summit racing the bearing fits from 1968-2005.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

According to summit racing the bearing fits from 1968-2005.

And it probably dose. Different bearing manufacturers do different things. Some bearings out there will come with groves in the center for oil retention, while others don't. As long as you ordered the correct bearings for the application (std size, .010 under, .020 under, etc), and you confirm proper clearance with a Plasti-gauge, they should work.

hannez82

Cadet

And it probably dose. Different bearing manufacturers do different things. Some bearings out there will come with groves in the center for oil retention, while others don't. As long as you ordered the correct bearings for the application (std size, .010 under, .020 under, etc), and you confirm proper clearance with a Plasti-gauge, they should work.

The strange thing is that both bearings are from the same manufacturer(clevite) and is the same model(cb663p). I guess everything is fine, I just got nervous when the new one didn't looked like the old one.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Manufacturers change manufacturing processes all the time.
Bunch of reasons; Cost. Or.. a benefit as a result of the change. Or... the old and new bearings were made with different equipment, and the differences between how one machine stamped the bearings from another mean squat to an engine.

Clevite makes a good product. Shouldn't have a problem with them as long as they're installed correctly, and you check the clearances...