Can't Crank

Atric

Recruit
Hello All,

I have a 94 Maxium 2000 with a 3.0 LX engine with Alpha One drive. I am in the Navy and have been gone for two years and my boat was on the trailer in the back yard. The last time I used it I made sure that I drained all of the water out of the block. I am trying to get the boat ready for summer but I am having a big issue. When I turn the key I hear the starter click but it does not turn over. I have pulled all of the spark plugs out and sprayed PB Blaster into the cylinders to make sure that they are free. I have taken the battery to Advanced Auto to get it tested and it is good. I have also jumped across the solenoid to make sure that wasn't the problem. No matter what I do I can't get the engine to move at all. I don't know what else to do or try. Any help with this would be great. I am hoping that I don't need to pull the engine out to try and rebuild it.

Thanks
Gerry "Atric"

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can't Crank

Pull the drive and try it. If, when you put it away there was water in the bellows, the gimbal bearing be be rusted to the shaft and the bearing locked up. If it still doesn't turn over with the drive off, pull the starter off and see if you can turn the engine using a screwdriver to bar the flywheel over.

Atric

Recruit

Thanks for the advice Don. I was hoping that it wouldn't be something like taking the drive off but I guess I have to do something.

Atric

Don S

Taking the drive off is easy and should be done yearly for preventive maintenance.
Lower the drive, put the shifter in forward, disconnect the rams from the back of the drive, remove the 6 mounting nuts and pull the drive off.

Here is the section from the manual showing the process.

View attachment A1G2 R&R.pdf

And here is a video Removing an Alpha drive. - YouTube

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks for the advice Don. I was hoping that it wouldn't be something like taking the drive off but I guess I have to do something.

Atric

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... It's a 10 minute job, for a Newbie, 'n a $10.00 gasket set to put it back on...

Follow Don's instructions, 'n ya Can't go wrong....

Atric

Recruit

Thanks for the advice Don and the video. I am going away this weekend but I will try it next week or next weekend. Along with that once I get the drive off how would I make sure to find the culprit for the lock up. Bond where would I order a set of faskets to make sure I have everything before I start.

Atric

Don S

Don't worry about gaskets yet, you may need more than that.

Besides, iboats sells parts so you can have this free forum to get help. Look at the links above your original post. Note the parts links.

Atric

Recruit

Don

I will let you know what I find out. I like to have everything before I start a project but like you siad there may be more.

UncleWillie

Captain

Don

I will let you know what I find out. I like to have everything before I start a project but like you said there may be more.

The worms are now out of the can!
The engine hasn't had maintenance for two years.
You will need to drain the lube from the out-drive.
As long as it is drained you might as well think seriously about replacing the 3+?? year old impeller.
And an engine oil change is in order.

But get it cranking first and then you will have a clue as to all that you will need for the first go around.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

....As long as it is drained you might as well think seriously about replacing the 3+?? year old impeller......

It's a Gen II. 3 years on those impellers is nothing. My impeller is still the original (see signature engine), and I have no reason to look at it for another couple of years... Pumps plenty of water, engine stays cool as a cucumber...

The rest, yeah, I'd do an oil change. But at the moment his biggest problem is not able to crank.

Go with what Don's saying, drive off, re-check. Pull starter motor (that would be my 'most likely suspect').... Before you put the drive back on, check the engine alignment and everything else in that area. Then start worrying about getting the parts you need to put it all back together....

Chris......

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

All good advise as usual but befor pulling the drive pull the starter and see if you can get it to spin or take it and have it tested! Do the things that don't cost anything 1st. With the starter off and the olugs out try turning it over by hand with a breaker bar on the crank pully bolt (in neutral of course). Good luck!

Atric

Recruit

Willie yes the worms are out of the can, or shall we say still in, since I can't get them out. I already have new oil to change just as soon as it starts moving. Yes it is a Gen 2 and I will look at evertyhing while it is off. Fanny I have pulled the starter and made sure it was free but I haven't taken it to have it checked on the bench yet. I have also tried to manually turn with the plugs out but there is not really a way to get a good bite on anything. Thanks for all of the help guys.