bunks too far from hull?

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I just bought a boat and trailer 2 months ago. When I looked at the upper bunk boards they seem too far from the hull. The hull does sit well on the lower bunks. The top ones are between 1 1/2 to 2" from the hull. 1 1/2" at the stern and 2" towards the bow. The brackets are only adjustable for the angle. They cannot be moved in or out from the hull. Is the gap too large to safely tow the boat?

Attachments

• port bunk one.jpg
    port bunk one.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 0
  • port bunk two.jpg
    port bunk two.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 0
  • starboard bunk one.jpg
    starboard bunk one.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 0
  • starboard bunk two.jpg
    starboard bunk two.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 0

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: bunks too far from hull?

No, these are in now way intended to support any load of the boat, they are merely there in order to help get he boat on the trailer and that is all, the space between the guides(not bunks) is fine.

You will find that most do not like these types of guides because they can collect dust and scratch the gelcoat of the boat and that is why they are somewhat rare on modern trailers. They are useful in areas where it is windy as well as for people who do not have enough experience in loading their boats, but as people gain experience and move up in boat size the guides disappear.

you're in good shape.

kfa4303

Banned

They look fine to me DRS. The bunks on the side act more like guide-ons to help get/keep the boat in center and prevent excess lateral movement while underway. Of course, not all boats/trailers use them. As long as the weight of the vessel is evenly distributed along the bunks beneath the boat, you should be fine.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

Great....something I dont need to worry about or spend $ on! Thanks Admirals...

kfa4303

Banned

No problem. You'll see lots of folks, myself included, use PVC guide ons, or other materials which stick up into the air so that they can be seen while back up as well as elevating the trailer lights so that they never get submerged. It's up to you which style you like. There are all sorts of variations. As the previous poster stated, the carpeted side bunk/guides can scratch the outside of the boat if you're not careful, but you should be ok, if you take it easy.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

I use long pieces of PVC piping at the very end of my trailer just to get the bow onto the bunks. The pipes only touch the rub rail. You might want to consider that option, as stated above, the set up you have now can scratch the gel coat if you're not careful.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

where my carpeted side banks touch my hull is the shiniest part of my whole boat

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Hopefully they'll never become transparent shiny. :lol:

etracer68

Ensign

After looking at your pics, they are ajustable in and out. There are bolts that hold them on the trailer frame, looks like they can be unbolted, and moved in or out.