How can this part cost $72.00

polk county

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Why does this part cost $72.00
This part is for a 2004 25hp Johnson. It?s a brace that tilts and holds the motor almost horizontal so that the lower unit is out of the water. The part that I have is cracked but still strong. My question is, why is this so expensive? What about it makes it cost 72 dollars? I don?t know what type of metal it is but it?s shiny where the paint wore away, doesn?t corrode and is not flimsy. Again why $72.00 Thanks
Here is the link
Evinrude Johnson OMC 0437875 - Lock Ay,tilt-stbd @ MarineEngine.com

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: How can thsi part cost $72.00

Makes the saying "there ain't nothing cheap about a boat or motor" true. BOAT = "Bust out another thousand". I gues they say it's a specilized part.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I dont know if Iboats sells this part

but here it is at another place i buy parts often

http://www.**********/parts/detail/johnson/B-0437875.html

$58

it is a stamped part....dies are very expensive.. and the cost of the dies is distributed on the first X number of parts sold... they may not sell many..... thus the higher cost

its the old auto parts story....you want Buick 455 headers...$500

you want small block 350 chevy headers $89

bob

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How can this part cost $72.00

You should look up prices for some of the No Longer Available (NLA) parts for Merc outboards. Common ignition parts like points, caps and rotors have asking prices in the hundreds. Why, because Mercury doesn't make them any more and it makes it a sellers market. It takes a lot of searching to find semi-affordable parts. And sometimes you bite the bullet.

jim j geezer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And sometimes the bullet bites you.

For being ignorant (absent specific knowledge) and/or being too lazy to do some homework to acquire the specific knowledge that would better serve your billfold.

I used to work for (I was the tech service mangler) an OEM that manufactured a variety of low end packaging machines.
(Packaging = another billfold buster)

I was constantly being bombarded by management & owners to SELL MORE PARTS!
After 6 or so years of trying to make myself indispensable I found out why. ("indispensable" described: Stick your hand in a bucket of water. Remove your hand from the water. See the hole your hand left behind? THAT'S how indispensable you are!)

It was the bottom line. That company's sales was made up of 25% sales from parts. 75% of that company's PROFITS came from the sale of parts!

Every day I'd get at least one call for a common piece of hardware - say, a 1" 10-32 slotted roundhead zinc plated machine screw. Most often I'd have to pull teeth to get the machine model# & serial# to pin down and confirm the correct part#. Then I'd look up the price & availability. "I got 'em in stock. How many you want?", I'd ask. "How much are they?" "$1.17 each." "Gimme three." "How do you want 'em to ship?" "2nd day UPS."

KA-CHING!

We, of course would buy them by the hundredweight and would pay something rediculous like $0.000000000000000000004/Ea for them.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

And sometimes the bullet bites you.

For being ignorant (absent specific knowledge) and/or being too lazy to do some homework to acquire the specific knowledge that would better serve your billfold.

I used to work for (I was the tech service mangler) an OEM that manufactured a variety of low end packaging machines.
(Packaging = another billfold buster)

I was constantly being bombarded by management & owners to SELL MORE PARTS!
After 6 or so years of trying to make myself indispensable I found out why. ("indispensable" described: Stick your hand in a bucket of water. Remove your hand from the water. See the hole your hand left behind? THAT'S how indispensable you are!)

It was the bottom line. That company's sales was made up of 25% sales from parts. 75% of that company's PROFITS came from the sale of parts!

Every day I'd get at least one call for a common piece of hardware - say, a 1" 10-32 slotted roundhead zinc plated machine screw. Most often I'd have to pull teeth to get the machine model# & serial# to pin down and confirm the correct part#. Then I'd look up the price & availability. "I got 'em in stock. How many you want?", I'd ask. "How much are they?" "$1.17 each." "Gimme three." "How do you want 'em to ship?" "2nd day UPS."

KA-CHING!

We, of course would buy them by the hundredweight and would pay something rediculous like $0.000000000000000000004/Ea for them.

hey JIM GEEZER whats the middle initial "J" for?

I love the hole in the water after you take your hand out...analogy..

i will use it as my own at some point....seeing how profitable you already are!!

bad

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

That looks like a casting but probably wrought & tumbled. If I really needed that part, I'd head to the metal scrap yard & buy a 1/4 pc of aluminum, trace the old one, drill a few holes & do a little filing. It's be a good project for a snowy saturday afternoon.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

jim j geezer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey, Bob! :)

Bob Johnson was one of my first and one of the better contract bridge partners I ever had. He'd browbeat me to "Read! Practice! Count! Alone at a card table or with others, playing the game."
I remember buying & reading, "How to Read Your Opponents' Cards"l by world-class player, Mike Lawrence. Within days after finishing the book, a page-turner I finished in a single evening, Bob and I were pitted against a pair who were regular winners in our small, American Contract Bridge League (ACBL) sanctioned club. I got the game contract in a major (hearts/spades), which meant I had to win at least 10 of the available 13 tricks. As the play proceeded, I came to the realization that I needed to locate the diamond queen in order to succeed. So I paused and reviewed the bidding that had taken place, as well as the cards that had been played thus far. I recalled that my left-hand opponent (LHO) had made a small, early, defensive competitive bid. There are 40 High Card Points (HCP) in the deck. A=4, K=3, Q=2, J=1. My partner (dummy - no offense, Bob. :rolleyes:) and I had most of 'em. A scant few picture cards had been played by my right-hand opponent (RHO), meaning that in order for LHO's bid to have been legitimatem then he HAD to be in possession of that diamond queen. I proceeded to play him for it and finnessed against him, winning, and made my contract. And me 'n Bob handily won that match. <-- That would've happened in the early 70's in western Kentucky. I'm gonna guess that you're not the same Bob Johnson - tallish (6'1"), skinny (~155#) and by now probably around 85 years young. I was in my 30's at the time.

The 2nd J in my nic on this forum represents the 1st letter of my last name. You're unlikely to find the surename, Geezer, listed in any phone book. :faint2:

Last edited:

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

That looks like a casting but probably wrought & tumbled. If I really needed that part, I'd head to the metal scrap yard & buy a 1/4 pc of aluminum, trace the old one, drill a few holes & do a little filing. It's be a good project for a snowy saturday afternoon.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

never played bridge...but did play pinochle( had bidding and partners and what not)....and i was born in KY and went to college at Western Kentucky University....and my name is Bob Johnson, but 6'3" and 240 lbs.....is that enough to get arrested for the crime you describe??? ha ha

bob

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Be thankful you can find it! I need that same part for a 50hp Johnson which is NLA and have yet to even get a sniff at a used one.

jim j geezer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

bonz_d?

Old home week might be upon us.

Izzat you?

A Key West person?
Know something about climbing powerline poles?
An F1 racing nut?
A political conservative?

If so, there's a good chance we're acquainted.

Check my email in my profile for a 'bell-ringer'.

jim j geezer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

bonz_d?

Izzat you?

Any decent machine shop should be able to make you one of those NLA parts for your Johnson out of stainless on the cheap.

Are you...
A Key West person?
An F1 racing nut?

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Makes the saying "there ain't nothing cheap about a boat or motor" true. BOAT = "Bust out another thousand". I gues they say it's a specilized part.

BOAT also = Bankruptcy On A Trailer.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Why does this part cost $72.00
This part is for a 2004 25hp Johnson. It?s a brace that tilts and holds the motor almost horizontal so that the lower unit is out of the water. The part that I have is cracked but still strong. My question is, why is this so expensive? What about it makes it cost 72 dollars? I don?t know what type of metal it is but it?s shiny where the paint wore away, doesn?t corrode and is not flimsy. Again why $72.00 Thanks
Here is the link
Evinrude Johnson OMC 0437875 - Lock Ay,tilt-stbd @ MarineEngine.com

The shortest answer I can give you is that anything that has the word MARINE in front of it is going to cost at least triple what it would if that word wasn't used. :lol:

dwco5051

Commander

There is a saying that a bolt that cost fifty cents for your car will cost you two fifty if it's for your boat and ten bucks if it is for your airplane.

I can attest that is true.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

There is a saying that a bolt that cost fifty cents for your car will cost you two fifty if it's for your boat and ten bucks if it is for your airplane.

I can attest that is true.

Oh so true!!! :lol::lol::lol:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

bonz_d?

Izzat you?

A Key West person?
An F1 racing nut?

Sorry, Midwestern boy my whole life.
Have a little brother that climbs poles.
Dirt tracks and motocross