2.5 year old fuel in "new" PCM engine

lknlover

Cadet
I have a question and hope you can answer - I (we) just bought a boat with 2.5 hours on it that sat on a lot for 2.5 years and at pick up were told it had 25 gallons of fuel. Assuming they stabilized the fuel and having no idea when the fuel was put into the tank - is it safe to run in my brand new 409 HP PCM motor? We still have 18 hours on the engine break in and are a bit skeptical of the safety of running this aged fuel through our new engine. We were told to add a can of Seafoam - my mechanic said to use Stabil Marine , which we did - at the fuel clean up amt of I believe 1oz per 5 gallons so now we potentially mixed Sea Foam and Stabil, added 10 gallons of stabilized 93 octane fuel - started it , warmed it up and idled out - when we hit the throttle to take off the boat sputtered and coughed and then died. It would not turn over so we towed it back to shore.

The mechanic where we bought it said he thinks it's a fuel line filter clogged - this is being over-nighted to us as we bought the boat 4 hours from home.

We're so deflated by this experience as this is the 12th boat we have owned and never had this happen, but then we've never bought new with questionable fuel either.

Opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Seafoam and alcohol in gas

Re: Seafoam and alcohol in gas

I would have had them pump every bit of that gas out before they delivered you the boat. No way I would have run 2.5 year old gas through it. Adding chemicals to the gas after the fact does nothing.

If you have 18 hours on the engine I would assume you have already burnt through all that bad gas right? Only thing I would be wondering is what kind of crap is still in your tank.

When you take the old filter off, dump its contents into a clear glass jar and post it up here for us to see.

By the way, you should post all of this info in a new thread.

Edit: I moved it here as I agree - QC

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2.5 year old fuel in "new" PCM engine

lknlover,

I moved this over here as I see it as really an engine thread, and it needs to be specific to you.

Be careful about jumping to any conclusions. There is no way the mechanic can know it is a fuel filter, but it may be. Don't get discouraged, this will work out, but do not expect it to be immediately better. Don't forget to fill that fuel filter before you install it!

Bruce,

Note the engine has 2.5 hours on it., He said he has 18 more to go in break-in period.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Note the engine has 2.5 hours on it., He said he has 18 more to go in break-in period.
Yes, now I see. If it were my boat, I would be wary of running it anymore before I removed all the old gas.

To the OP, when you say not turn over, does that mean the starter wasn't rotating the crankshaft or it wouldn't start?

Maclin

Admiral

Just my opinion, while the older fuel and fuel filter may be part of the problem for the sputtering and dying, those items would not keep it from turning over. That sounds more like old/low/dead battery, corroded connections, or even hydrolocking.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Many members say "turn over" or won't "crank over" when they mean won't start. That's how I took it despite the wrong wording. VERY important to clarify though.

lknlover

Cadet

Poor choice of words - it would not start. It turned over fine and ran smooth and steady at low speed during warm up and idle out of cove. Once some throttle was put on it sputtered and died, then would not crank over. Batteries were at full charge.

I've received 2 views - 1) treat with Stabil or Sea Foam and 2) drain the fuel and begin with fresh fuel.

Next question... what the heck do I do with 35 gallons of fuel if I drain it- other than have a heck of a bon fire.

Bondo

Staff member

Poor choice of words - it would not start. It turned over fine and ran smooth and steady at low speed during warm up and idle out of cove. Once some throttle was put on it sputtered and died, then would not crank over. Batteries were at full charge.

I've received 2 views - 1) treat with Stabil or Sea Foam and 2) drain the fuel and begin with fresh fuel.

Next question... what the heck do I do with 35 gallons of fuel if I drain it- other than have a heck of a bon fire.

Ayuh,... Take a sample of the fuel in a clear container....

Give it a Look for separation...
'n give it a Smell to see if it's still gasoline, or it's gone on to varnish...

If it Don't Look right, or Smell right,...
Put it in pails, 'n list it on craigslist as Free Gas... it'll be outa yer life in a hurry...

Who cares what somebody else does with it...

Btw,... Addin' Anything to rotten gas, just makes more Rotten gas....

matt167

Captain

In the past, I have pumped out 1/2 and then filled back up with Premium. It replaces the octane that the gasoline lost, and most premium's have stabalizer packages in them.. It won't run perfect, but you can burn the gas out, change the filters and everything will be fine. However, I would only do that if it still looked like gas and smelled like gas upon inspection. Gas turns orange as it goes bad, so you can gauge how bad it is by what color it is.

salty87

Commander

check with your county's waste disposal facility. many would rather dispose of it for you rather than risk it being dumped. my county will take 25 gal at a time.

i wouldn't run it. whether you're injected or carb'd it could leave you with other things to repair.