Bravo III

Spook5365

Cadet
I am looking at a used boat. The outdrive has the cracks shown below. Is the boat usable with this type of damage to the drive? Thanks in advance for your advice!

BravoA.jpgBravoB.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bravo III

It's very important. That's what keeps the drive in position when turning. Side to side support.

tpenfield

Staff member

Welcome to iBoats . . .

That area that is cracked (actually missing) is involved in providing lateral support to the outdrive.

I would not want to purchase an outdrive in that state as it really ought to be repaired.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I wonder how that happened

A picture from a bit further back so we could see the drive and transom shield would make it a lot easier to assess the damage. I wonder how much of the gimbal housing is missing as well.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard Spook,.... I would include the price of replacin' that housing in yer negotiations...

As noted, that provides the lateral support for the drive,...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

For me the really question would not be if the boat is still usable (which it is), but how that damage happened, and what other (unseen) damage has occurred. For that lateral support to be broken off, the drive must have taken quite a hit from the side, and that would also translate to damage and possible alignment problems further up the drive and, possibly, into the gimbal housing.... Get an EXPERIENCED Merc certified tech to have a close look at it...

Chris.......

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When I had a mechanical survey done that had a B3, the mechanic saw a slight wobble of the prop shaft while he was checking it out while running on a hose. He basically told me "it is fine to use it as-is and keep using it until it breaks but figure $6k into your negotiations for a replacement".

That survey found other issues that the seller would not negotiate paying for so we passed on that boat.

So as the several experienced guys are indicating here, more pictures will help to see if there might be any other damage and figure worse case that it's more than just the housing that's suspect and figure $6k for a replacement drive.

I personally would not buy a used off e-bay drive.

Mark

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

For me the really question would not be if the boat is still usable (which it is), but how that damage happened, and what other (unseen) damage has occurred. For that lateral support to be broken off, the drive must have taken quite a hit from the side, and that would also translate to damage and possible alignment problems further up the drive and, possibly, into the gimbal housing.... Get an EXPERIENCED Merc certified tech to have a close look at it...

Chris.......

^^^^+1

tpenfield

Staff member

Just to sum it up . . . what boat is next on you list . . . ?