3 blade vs 4 blade

crazyhunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have a blackmax 150 and want to put another prob (21p) should i get a 4blade or 3blade? whats the pros and cons of each? i want more topend.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 3 blade vs 4 blade

I don't have, nor ever owned a 4 blade. In reading replies on here for several years, it seems that a 4 blade does better at the mid-range speeds where one would cruise. It allows for better speed control than some 3 blades....boat doesn't try to run away on plane and once you cut the throttle to control that speed, it falls off plane, transom sinks and you have to repeat the process.

Other thing is that for a heavy transom boat, like a bass boat, and I/O if you have the HP to push it, it gives you a better "hole shot" (plane out...getting on top of the water from being in it).

HTH,
Mark

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

i have a blackmax 150 and want to put another prob (21p) should i get a 4blade or 3blade? whats the pros and cons of each? i want more topend.

What kind of boat is this going on?

phillnjack2

Ensign

4 blade gives better bottom end ,but slower top end.
I asked this same question to some professional prop guys, all said the same thing.
They also said the 4 blade is a better cruise prop but no good for top end.
Now also this is when comparing 3 and 4 blade of same make and type of blade ????
there is now so many different props out there to choose from.

I was comparing a 3 blade raker to a 4 blade rengade, both omc props.

but if its top end your after you will want to be looking for 3 blade or even a 2 blade if you can find one.
and how high are you running ? if up high you might want to think about surface or semi -surface to get more speed.?

phill

jestor68

Commander

No one can say which would perform better until you describe your set up.

Read the sticky at the top of the section and provide as much info as possible.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am all about the 4 blade prop. Love the quickness to plane and the ability to stay on plane at lower speeds. I gave some up on the top end but my boat is pretty quick for its size and engine so its worth it to me.

That being said, like the others have posted, it all depends on the boat. If you were happy with your boat's performance with the 3 blade prop, there is probably no reason to switch. If you want better holeshot, and lower planing speed a 4 blade may be for you. I've also read that 4 blades provide better slow speed handling, like when docking, but I couldnt notice it. If you like going WOT and trying to get every mph out of it, then 3 blade for sure.

crazyhunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the info i think i will stick with 3 blade ive got a 3blade ss (17p) it will run about 50 so im lookin for a little more topend

crazyhunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

also will vented props alow me to keep my holeshot without loosing topend?

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Venting allows the prop to ventilate a little bit when starting out. So the engine can reach high rpm's more quickly, then the scavenging effect at speed pulls the exhaust out the hub and no more ventilating. I can't remember who but someone makes a prop that allows you to change the hole size easily, or close it, that might be a good choice to try.

crazyhunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

about 6k wide open i need to bring it down to around 5500

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a 19" pitch 3 blade prop is about right. I like the Hustler props in aluminum