volvo engine not starting

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
how do i bypass the neutral safety switch to verify engine turns over. checked starter and it works but when i turn key in boat nothing.

4 cyl Volvo engine and a penta out drive

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: volvo engine not starting

did that and nothing. had starter tested and it works fine.. any other ideas?

I will look at tread tonight.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

did that and nothing. had starter tested and it works fine.. any other ideas?

I will look at tread tonight.

That thread IS the other ideas.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Here are a couple more things to check
1) Voltage on the "B" terminal on the ignition switch (doesn't matter whether key is on or offf)
2) Voltage at the "S" terminal on the ignition switch in the START position?
3) Voltage on the starter solenoid (start terminal) when the key is in the START position?
4) Connections on the starter solenoid shiny clean and tight? (looking isn't verification)
5) Corrosion on any terminals or connectors in the harness between the helm and the engine

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here are a couple more things to check
1) Voltage on the "B" terminal on the ignition switch (doesn't matter whether key is on or offf)
2) Voltage at the "S" terminal on the ignition switch in the START position?
3) Voltage on the starter solenoid (start terminal) when the key is in the START position?
4) Connections on the starter solenoid shiny clean and tight? (looking isn't verification)
5) Corrosion on any terminals or connectors in the harness between the helm and the engine

1 - 4 all yes, 5 no corrosion on terminals

turn key and nothing......OMG this boat is driving me nuts. I need ideas please on how to get this engine to turn over. Have a potential buyer for boat and need engine in working order to sell it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is it in neutral?

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes it is in neutral

Taz59

Petty Officer 1st Class

are you using test lamp or volt meter,if volt meter how many volts

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class

the only thing i have not tried is to bypass starter solenoid.

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hook up your test light again with the clip on a good ground. Now touch terminal C of the slave solenoid with your test light and have your helper turn the key to the start position again. The light should light up? If it did, touch your test light on terminal A, if it lights, hook your test light lead to it, and put the probe on terminal D (the ground) if it doesn't light, then you have a bad ground for the slave solenoid and without that ground the slave solenoid will not work.

(i did the above and test light did come on)

If the test light did not light up, ( and it did)

then the problem is 1 of 3 things either the connection at the main engine harness plug is bad, or you have a bad neutral safety switch or a bad connection between the ignition switch and the slave solenoid.
If you are at home, this isn't a problem and you can track the problem down. But if you are out on the water and the relay fails, what can you do? Simple. Use a test lead on the slave solenoid socket to jump between terminals A and B and the engine will crank. Make sure the ignition switch is in the run position and the engine will start.

Ok, lets say when you hit the switch you hear a click from the engine,(no sound was made..no clicking sound)

but no cranking of the starter. Now what do you check.

Simple, back to the slave solenoid on the engine. Hook up your test light clip to a good ground and touch the tip to terminal A, if it lights, touch it to terminal B and have your helper hit the starter switch again. If you hear a click and the light does not come on, then the problem is a bad slave solenoid. If you are out and need to start the engine, you can disconnect the wires from terminals B and C and hook them together and you will be able to bypass the slave solenoid all together and it should work. ( did this also and nothing)

If not, due to long wire runs, just jump between terminals A and B to crank the engine over.(did this and still nothing)

If the light does come on, move on to the starter solenoid itself.

After closers inspection of starter solenoid I noticed a hole in the housing about 1/8" in diameter. I am wondering if something may have gotten in there causing the starter not to engage.??

PS.. Myself and a friend followed these instruction to the letter and engine will not turn over. The only thing I can think of is the solenoid is junk.

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class

13.4 or 13.2 if I remember corectly

Don S

Hook up your test light again with the clip on a good ground. Now touch terminal C of the slave solenoid with your test light and have your helper turn the key to the start position again. The light should light up? If it did, touch your test light on terminal A, if it lights, hook your test light lead to it, and put the probe on terminal D (the ground) if it doesn't light, then you have a bad ground for the slave solenoid and without that ground the slave solenoid will not work.

(i did the above and test light did come on)

Did the light come on during all 3 tests or just one?

Simple, back to the slave solenoid on the engine. Hook up your test light clip to a good ground and touch the tip to terminal A, if it lights, touch it to terminal B and have your helper hit the starter switch again. If you hear a click and the light does not come on, then the problem is a bad slave solenoid. If you are out and need to start the engine, you can disconnect the wires from terminals B and C and hook them together and you will be able to bypass the slave solenoid all together and it should work. ( did this also and nothing)
Did the test light, light up when you did the underlined part above?

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did the light come on during all 3 tests or just one?

light can on, on all three

Did the test light, light up when you did the underlined part above?

Light came on both for A and B

When I get home tonight I am going to try and jump Terminal A and B on the solenoid and see if it cranks, If not I know Solenoid is bad.

Don S

Keep in mind, you don't have a solenoid, you have a relay. Jumping from A to B in the socket should make the starter crank. As long as you have power on A to start with.

attachment.php

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class

Keep in mind, you don't have a solenoid, you have a relay. Jumping from A to B in the socket should make the starter crank. As long as you have power on A to start with.

attachment.php

Tried that and nothing, that is why i think my solenoid is bad.

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class

so if nothing happens when I jump A and B then starter bad??

rock&reel

Cadet

so if nothing happens when I jump A and B then starter bad??

Go and get a new relay I bet you that's all you need I was fighting for two days with the same problem and did all the test.. Just went and put new relay & pommm ready to power
Part number 19899 autozone Carrie this relay,,,,,good luck :confused:

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class

i'll be dammed!!! put in new relay "even though old one tested good" and sure as **** engine turns over. I am stupefied it was something so simple.