Can you damage your motor by dry start ?

altaria

Recruit
Can you damage your motor by dry start like a startup and shut off of the engine without water hooked up ? i was just wondering i had one time that i didnt check my batterys and the boat was dead at the ramp, its a 2012 60hp efi merc

Dukedog

Captain
Re: Can you damage your motor by dry start ?

NO! If ya just wanna check it for power and "turn over", pull tha kill switch and JUST bump it. Then don't forget ta reset tha kill switch......

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Altaria, :welcome: to iBoats! General rule of thumb is a few seconds just to see if it starts and runs won't hurt you but if you run it much longer you can chew up your water impeller and don't rev it dry what ever you do!

altaria

Recruit

Altaria, :welcome: to iBoats! General rule of thumb is a few seconds just to see if it starts and runs won't hurt you but if you run it much longer you can chew up your water impeller and don't rev it dry what ever you do!

Thanks for the welcome , as a new boat owner i just like to make sure i will not hurt the motor , i know if its been siting for some time i need to hook up the water and run it before taking it out , i just happen to have it siting for like 2 weeks and one day put it in the water and started to float away and all i hear is click click , it was interesting to say the least

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gee, Why not start and warm it up on the flusher device, at home before you go to the ramp? That way you know it is ready to go, and you do not hold up others at the ramp....

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I start mine at home every time before I go to the lake w/o hooking up water. As soon as it starts, I shut it right down. By doing it at home, you'll know how good your battery is, and of course, if it will start right away..... An EFI should start instantly.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I like to keep the impeller blades flexible so periodically when I walk by the boat, I just tap the starter. Additionally, batteries will degrade their charge over time. So periodically I hook up my charger over night to keep them fresh. Like taz said, impeller is the main consideration and a little spin isn't going to hurt it. I just pulled my impeller after 7 years of doing what I said and there were slight signs of blade tip wear; some scratches like you would expect in normal operation.

Mark

Interesting question...even more interesting responses. I have been boating for nearly all my life and I have NEVER cranked an outboard without it hooked to a water source or in a barrel of water. It is foolish to do so...even for a second. Funny story... I was talking with a 30 year old school boat mechanic the other day. He showed me an impeller from a 200hp the owner had "checked" for "just a second to make sure it would start." Well, there wasn't much left of that impeller and the motor was "tested" for less than 5 seconds. You can do whatever you wish, but for me there will always be water running.

While we are on the subject...your motor peeing does not mean your impeller is working properly...just sayin.

Dukedog

Captain

Just courious? What happens, if for some unknown reason, it goes ta 6000 grand when ya just "bump" it. Or even worse, tha kill circuit fails. But it is your choice...................

Funny story about that Dukedog.... I had just brought my latest boat home. The wife comes out of the house...impressed of course at my prowess of a deal...and says, "Does it start?"

I was stunned.

With confidence, I attached the ears, turned on the water and did nothing but tap the key...and the darn thing revved up to lord knows what. VAAAAROOOOM!!! Shocked me a bit, to say the least. Here is the important part...

I attached a hose with water...thankfully.

Dukedog

Captain

My point exactly. Had one last Friday. Changed a powerhead for a guy on "new ta him" boat. Had him put it on tha hose (which he wasn't gonna do) ta start it. Busted right off........Turned tha key off, still runin', pulled tha kill switch, still runin'. Ground wire (both blk/yellows) in tha harness were broke somewhere.

If tha thing has been sittin. and pump is completely dried out it doesn' take but just a few seconds to burn it. May not wipe it out that time but it WILL damage it to some extent. Its kinda like tha old oil ad. "Pay me now or pay me later".............jmo for whats its worth!